Larger 1995 psd oil filter on 7.3 IDI ????

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It wasn't installation clearance that bothered me.... It was the prospect of the pinion smashing it on suspension travel.
That's one that I hadn't thought of before. The way this looks to me, I don't think that could happen, but in extreme off road situations, I supposed that it might be able to happen. Here's the bottom of the one on my truck. There seems to be enough clearance to me.

Attachments

• 102_3977.JPG
    102_3977.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 18

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Doh... that's a different view than I remember. :oops: I do know we had a whole case of PSD filters at one point, and we were too nervous to use them on one of the IDI's due to length. Dang memory... Oh well

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
:dunnoI know this has been covered some where just can't find it. So will the longer 1995 PSD oil filter work on the 94 n/a IDI.
(fit and seal) I think frams # for the 95 is PH3786. Sound right?
Yes the PSD oil filter will work on your IDI

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 is not 4X4, but changed the oil last week, and the FL-1995 fits right on. Been using them probably the past 8 years.
The side close to the pan, the clearance is close at the top. But once lined up, screws right on.
Doesn`t hang down far enough to hit anything.

I dump 2 gallons in the pan, fill the Filter. Run the engine for a bit. Shut her down and check later and the oil on the stick is about right on.

Goat

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a fl-1995 on my 89 with the TTB this past weekend, it was a VERY tight fit, to the point I didn’t think it would work. It was rubbing on the steel fuel line that goes across the crossmember, but once I gave the fuel line a tweak I got it to go on. I do want to check and make sure nothing’s vibrating and rubbing. I do remember reading somewhere that if your engine mounts are bad, it will cause the fl-1995 to not fit. That might be my issue.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It was rubbing on the steel fuel line that goes across the crossmember, but once I gave the fuel line a tweak I got it to go on. I do want to check and make sure nothing’s vibrating and rubbing.
I have the same thing happening on my truck. My problem is that the plastic holders no longer hold that steel line tight. My solution was to take a piece of 3/8" rubber fuel line, slit it lengthwise, and then slide it over the steel line so that it wouldn't rub a hole into the oil filter.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only issue I have with the ‘88 and 1995a is when threading on the filter initially and being slightly blocked/tilted by the fuel line. Just move it out the way but can be sometimes awkward

You’d still need to affix the slit 3/8 line to stay in place though right? Never thought about it chaffing through the filter but mine don’t touch at all once the filter is fully threaded. Might consider throwing some duct tape on there for safe measure instead but my concern with putting more abrasion protection/width via rubber line would be it’s even more difficult to thread past the fuel line.
Great call out though

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You’d still need to affix the slit 3/8 line to stay in place though right?
I put a zip tie on each end. It can be a PITA to get started, but it's worth it to me to get the better filtration from the FL1995.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a remote oil filter to these engines before?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a remote oil filter to these engines before?

I don't suggest doing anything to delete or relocate the stock filter.

Here's a thread about bypass filtering

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Is there any reason why not to? I know other engines have done it due to poor location and body interference, and ran for many miles with no issues.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is there any reason why not to? I know other engines have done it due to poor location and body interference, and ran for many miles with no issues.

I have worked in shops replacing engines because remote filter lines and adapters/o-rings failed.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the 90’s, GM was infamous for their oil cooler lines costing the owner an engine. Dad said they went through lots of those. (Chevy dealer)

I grew up in a Chevy family and we always deleted immediately. In our minds we didn’t do enough heavy hauling to justify them. Plus you could now fit a vertical oil filter that held a quart.

Black dawg

Reaction score
In the 90’s, GM was infamous for their oil cooler lines costing the owner an engine. Dad said they went through lots of those. (Chevy dealer)

I grew up in a Chevy family and we always deleted immediately. In our minds we didn’t do enough heavy hauling to justify them. Plus you could now fit a vertical oil filter that held a quart.
Seen two die that way this past years. One with new engine and new hoses, the other was a 35k mile tbi 350. Both junk in minutes. Always the first thing I delete on my own stuff.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I had literally never heard of it being an issue. Thanks for the insight guys.