Larger 1995 psd oil filter on 7.3 IDI ????

Bowtech28

Reaction score
:dunnoI know this has been covered some where just can't find it. So will the longer 1995 PSD oil filter work on the 94 n/a IDI.
(fit and seal) I think frams # for the 95 is PH3786. Sound right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't use the phram oil or fuel filters. They are made poorly and allow oil to carry over materials they should be filtering out. The motorcraft 1995 oil filter is the best filter possible for these engines. It filters down to a smaller micron that the idi filters because the psd fuel sysem requires a cleaner oil for the injection process. Their injection pressures are min at 20,000 lbs and can go up to around 45,000 lbs on the highly modified pumps. Thats pressure is why the direct injection system works so well for them. Ever see a psd stage 5 injecter. It has 5 square holes emd machined and flowed. You can barely see the holes in the tips. Any water going thru them and usualy the tips blow off. Then you eat an engine. Friends duramax blew off a tip and it ate that engine. Chevy or GM gave her a new updated engine and another 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. Otherwise she was on the hook for an $11,000.00 engine....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Using the stp psd filter:
It was hard going on once it got to the halfway point. Pulled it back off and stuck my finger inside, it had a second "lip" area about ⅜ inch long that was NOT threaded but was just slightly smaller diameter than the first threaded surface.
I think it was a factory defect or something. Needless to say, I had to use it anyways.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the stp psd filter:
It was hard going on once it got to the halfway point. Pulled it back off and stuck my finger inside, it had a second "lip" area about ⅜ inch long that was NOT threaded but was just slightly smaller diameter than the first threaded surface.
I think it was a factory defect or something. Needless to say, I had to use it anyways.

I had that problem the first time I tried to use a psd filter and it was a motor craft. It sucked because I always fill the filter up before I install them

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I had that problem the first time I tried to use a psd filter and it was a motor craft. It sucked because I always fill the filter up before I install them
Yep. When I pulled it off to check the inside, I dropped it and got oil all over me. (At least it was clean oil) Including my glasses. Talk about a ****** to clean.
Which reminds me, I need new glasses. Lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... A 1995 filter defective... I sure wold be taking it back and getting a new one. A defect is no reason for reuseing the dirty filter but I sure wont trust a defect either. A dirty filter that works is better than a filter that wont work...

gandalf

Reaction score
I couldn't say with absolute certainty, but I seem to recall that some people have reported a clearance problem when trying to install a 1995 filter. There is a cross member in close proximity to the filter, and occasionally it's just a bit too close. :mad::puke:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Members have reported clearance isues in the past. Turns out when the motor mounts gets soft from years of oil on then they crush down causing a small clearance issue. Easy fit is to replace the soft mount....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online