Larger 1995 psd oil filter on 7.3 IDI ????

Bowtech28

Reaction score
Members have reported clearance isues in the past. Turns out when the motor mounts gets soft from years of oil on then they crush down causing a small clearance issue. Easy fit is to replace the soft mount....

Got lucky on mine I guess. It went on with no problems. Its close but no prob. thanks guys.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... A 1995 filter defective... I sure wold be taking it back and getting a new one. A defect is no reason for reuseing the dirty filter but I sure wont trust a defect either. A dirty filter that works is better than a filter that wont work...

Gary, for some reason I have also had bad luck with the psd motorcraft oil filter. I have tried two of them, and each time I had issues. The first one was leaking where the rubber seal was, and the second one would not screw onto the filter head. I eventually gave up with the motorcraft filters and now use the microguard psd oil filter available at Kragen. Seem to have good luck with that brand so far :dunno.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used purolator, wix, and motorcraft versions of the fl-1995 with no issues whatsoever. FWIW...

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason not to run a NAPA 1734EX rated at 10 microns? I believe when I asked about it at NAPA they told me it was a gas media filter. That's what I'm considering running on my new rebuild, but I wonder about the restriction of a finer filter.

Bowtech28

Reaction score
PH1995's and Delo 15-40 are about the only thing I consider Walmart as being good for. I really can't stand that store.:backoff

I don't know Goose. I always fee lmuch better about MYSELF when I leave out of my local WALLYWORLD ! :rotflmao

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to run a NAPA 1734EX rated at 10 microns? I believe when I asked about it at NAPA they told me it was a gas media filter. That's what I'm considering running on my new rebuild, but I wonder about the restriction of a finer filter.

10 micron at what efficiency? Don't buy into the hype when filter manufacturers tell you their filter is an 'X micron' filter unless they tell you it's efficiency at that level as well. Heck, a screen door is a 10 micron filter, just terrible efficiency LOL

Mike

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Members have reported clearance isues in the past. Turns out when the motor mounts gets soft from years of oil on then they crush down causing a small clearance issue. Easy fit is to replace the soft mount....

Tried to install a FL1995-A on my 7.3 IDI just now and wouldn't work because of crossmember clearance, or lack thereof. However, the trans isn't installed yet, so the engine is tilted down in the back. Once I get the trans in, I should be good.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Im about 10 years without fords so my memory is what it is.

I seem to recall the PSD filter had a clearance problem on IDI's that were ttb, but there was enough clearance with the taller f350 leafs and Dana 60.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
. However, the trans isn't installed yet, so the engine is tilted down in the back. Once I get the trans in, I should be good.
Yes you should be.
I seem to recall the PSD filter had a clearance problem on IDI's that were ttb, but there was enough clearance with the taller f350 leafs and Dana 60.
I'm running them in my Blue Truck with TTB. Yes it's very tight, but I can get them installed somewhat easily.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup...The van thing...the oil change is easy.

I've heard that one does not have to have the filter installed to simply refill new oil to the engine. Just don't wanna run it until the filter is installed.

Something to do with the oil level in the pan being lower than the filter connection. True?

I don't want to experiment here because I hate having to clean up oil messes.

Incidentally, when I first got my van 6 years ago, I also experienced the funny STP oil filter thing and erupted a helluva mess. I put the old one back on and put the old oil back in...it's all I had at the time. And took it to a professional shop because I thought it was my own ignorance. It was my first experience changing the oil on this beast and I had convinced myself that I was doing it wrong. Geez, it's a brand new oil filter and the correct part. Can't I do something as simple as screw in an oil filter? I've been around enough ignorant people that I usually can now see it in myself quite often and will seek help when things don't go as expected. Hopefully before I make a huge EXPENSIVE mess. Took me 50 years to learn that lesson. If I think education is expensive, try ignorance... that's far more expensive.

By ignorance, I mean it in sense that I no longer think I know what I am doing and need some edumacation.

Haven't touched a STP product since

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm running them in my Blue Truck with TTB. Yes it's very tight, but I can get them installed somewhat easily.

It wasn't installation clearance that bothered me.... It was the prospect of the pinion smashing it on suspension travel.