Oil Bypass Filter Return Line Into Head

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After our conversation a couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to reconnecting my Racor bypass oil filtration system using the port Justin (cdx825) told me about at the rally. I removed the AC compressor a slid it out of the way. The plug came out easy. I installed the 90 degree JIC fitting for the return and connected the hose. Reinstalled the compressor. Reconnected the feed line intot eh oil gallery port near the oil filter, started the engine , checked for leaks and oil flow through the bypass filter. All A-OK. Shut engine off, checked oil and topped off. Took a nice little test drive and rechecked for leaks... A-OK again. Super easy! Thanks Justin for clueing me into an easy solution and thanks to the others for confirming these ports were designed for just this purpose. I snapped a pic with the crappy camera phone (pretty sad for a guy with a $2K camera outfit). To me taking pictures is like work, so I don't do it much outside of my work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice setup... Now if anyone wants the same thing we know its been done and works too. Right now on ebay a seller is offering several Frantz oil filter setups. Many do not recall what they were but back in the late 50s and early 60s this company called Frantz made a oil polishing system that kept youe engine oil clean. It was about the first bypass oil filter system offered. Really simple too. Just buy a package of cheap as you can buy toilet paper. Remove the center cardboard tube and install the paper in the canister. Thats all you needed to do. The oil getting thru the paper and returning to the oil pan was really cleaned or polished up. I just found one a neighbor set out for trash day but didn't stop to get it. Now I'm kicking myself for passing it up. The ebay new ones are $135.00 each... Used will work just as well so buy what you can afford I guess.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the bypass does do in my case is filter down to 3 microns absolute (some systems are more or less efficient that this). The standard FL784 is efficient to about 35 microns absolute and the upgrade FL1995 filters down to about 25 microns absolute. The bypass system is supplemental to the full flow filter. The main benefit of bypass filtration is as an oil life extender and a primary filter life extender. The contaminants generated by the engine, soot and wear metals mainly, both cause wear in the engine in and of themselves but they cause the additive package to deplete more quickly. Wear metals, mainly iron and copper, also tend to help the oil oxidize more quickly, so large amount of them tends to wear the anti-oxidant part of the additive package wear out faster. The side benefit, but one you won't see for a long time, is a reduction in wear. I mainly have this setup because it doubles, triples or more the oil change interval safely. Because it capturing some of the contaminants, large and small, it also helps the primary oil filter last longer. The Racor ABS system I have will also clear a certain amount of moisture from the oil.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These ports are found on the front and back of every idi head no matter 6.9 or 7.3. They are all 1/4 inch national pipe thread.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The pressure port on any 6.9 is any 1/8 inch national pipe thread port found on the drivers side plug. Or top rear of the engine pressure port used for the dash gauge perssure sender way back behind the bellhousing flange. On any none turbo idi block same locations. On all none turbo blocks no matter 6.9 or 7.3 the drivers side of the block there are three pressure ports way down low. Some are behind the oil cooler bundle and one is on the bellhousing flange. The flange port is commonly used for most Banks turbo pressure feeds. Plenty of pics in this forum showing this port.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Many thanks to all for this info. I've known about bypass filtration for decades, but hadn't yet put it onto my 7.3.

My filter head mounting will be remote, due to the tight engine compartment, but at least I know where to connect.;Sweet