Kansas killed my 7.3 n/a

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
bad fuel...ok....how and why would they mix gas in with diesel???? I know weve got some water in the diesel now and then in the winter, but gas????......thats a new one to me. Only way I can think of is the delivery guy dont know what he is doin in which case he should be fired last month
Although I have stopped a few folks from putting gas in a diesel and visa versa. I think the fuel delivery trucks are the ones who accidentally drop in the wrong tank.

Sorry traveling so site is not following my moves, it puts me on page one, at home remembers what page I was last on. Saw there was an answer on this.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Chance,

There is a small copper washer that goes between the injector hole base and the injector that is supposed to prevent that from happening. Make sure you get it out, maybe the last owner or his mechanic forgot to put it in. You can use a medical pick and be sure to put one back in.

Sorry to hear about the dead cylinders.

Oil in the coolant could be from.

1) CDR valve failed and let too much oil into intake and blew the head gasket.(Known issue.)
2) Oil cooler o-ring seals are leaking. (Common issue.)
3) Head gasket went bad due to old age.

Probably should do a compression test followed by a leak down test. Sounds like you need to open that engine up to see what is causing two cylinders to fail.

Ford did things different on the firing order and Navistar went with Fords standard. #1 is the passenger side closest to the radiator.

Sorry to hear all that.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure cylinder order on this motor so I will say them as if a Chevy small block cylinders 5 and 6 have no compression also the 2 injectors that had slag like build up
Suspicious that those cylinders are side by side. The head gasket may be blown out between those two cylinders.

You could possibly do some more testing by making a adapter to fit into the glowplug hole, and put compressed air in the cylinder from a air compressor. Then experiment to see where the air comes out.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cylinders 5 & 6 would not be next to one another. They are opposite one another.

On the subject of cylinder numbering, it’s done based on where each pistons connecting rod is on the crank shaft. This is the way it is on every engine I have seen. If you look at any vee configuration engine from above, one head will be offset forward from the other. The distance will be roughly the width of a connecting rod bearing. Cylinder #1 will be the front most cylinder on the bank that is offset to the front. If you’re looking at a transverse application (i.e. front wheel drive car) it will be towards the harmonic balancer rather than the front of the vehicle.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What causes this?
Water I did that to my 86 in custer Montana 3 years ago I barely made it to big timber that's 50 miles away had to drain both tanks and got all 3 fuel filters left in stock I dosed with 911 and atf. And it still ran like **** for 1100 miles but cleared up

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cylinders 5 & 6 would not be next to one another. They are opposite one another.

On the subject of cylinder numbering, it’s done based on where each pistons connecting rod is on the crank shaft. This is the way it is on every engine I have seen. If you look at any vee configuration engine from above, one head will be offset forward from the other. The distance will be roughly the width of a connecting rod bearing. Cylinder #1 will be the front most cylinder on the bank that is offset to the front. If you’re looking at a transverse application (i.e. front wheel drive car) it will be towards the harmonic balancer rather than the front of the vehicle.
I've always wondered what the rhyme and reason is for the cylinder numbering for a V and never looked it up. Thank you!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unless you go with Ford's older engines. 1,2,3,&4 are on one side while 5,6,7,&8 are on the other. That's not a really good way to number the cylinders, but I guess some engineer just had to be different.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Unless you go with Ford's older engines. 1,2,3,&4 are on one side while 5,6,7,&8 are on the other. That's not a really good way to number the cylinders, but I guess some engineer just had to be different.
Maybe it was a patent related thing

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I googled it, you’re definitely right. I was told that by someone years ago, and it’s always worked out that way for everything I’ve worked on. But, I’ve never really spent any time with Ford gas engines. Apparently they were just being different.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know. It's crazy. When I was pretty young, I was doing a tune up on the 1975 International that I had. I pulled all of the plug wires. The cap was easy enough since it used the small block Chevy firing order. The problem was that I messed up and used the Ford pattern for cylinder numbers. I got so frustrated with it not starting that I had to call a friend to come over and help me out. That was the last time that I ever pulled all of the plug wires off at one time. I learned my lesson that day!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I got so frustrated with it not starting that I had to call a friend to come over and help me out. That was the last time that I ever pulled all of the plug wires off at one time. I learned my lesson that day!
Well I always try to tell all my neighbors & other friends that I is smart, so ya'll better not tell anyone bout this, OK? LOL LOL

Last yr I was working on my old Clark Forklift that's got a IIRC 245 Continental 6 cyl engine in it. (my Towmotor has a Continental 227) Engine is mounted backwards, fan is facing radiator which is behind seat toward rear of fork.
I decided to do a tune up, points, plugs, wires, etc, etc. Afterwards thing ran kinda so-so, but not good, & I could get about 20 min out a set of plugs.
Short story I worked & fiddled & fiddled & drove myself nuts trying to fix it, carb kit, plugs, fuel pressure reg, etc, etc.

After about 3 mo of frustration a friend of mine I talked to, he swung by & checked things.
Very quickly he said "DUH" the engine is facing rear of fork, not the front..... you got wires all backwards. #1 is front of engine which faces fan & radiator which is backwards behind you, not front of fork!!!
That thing has run awesome ever since that day!!!

Like I say, ya'll better not tell nobody!!!!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I bought a Clark airport tug from a school district to move my trailers around in a small fenced in area. (Pickup was making it hard.) Someone had been pulling parts off it as it had sat for a year or two at the school district. So it was missing one plug wire, so I bought one and put it on. Started it up and it ran, but had an occasional backfire, shortly after it blew the muffler up. (Split it down the middle.) I thought perhaps I had a burnt valve, but after more inspection I found someone had wired the plugs wrong. Fixed that and it ran very well.

I also had bought a old 80's White forklift with a 4 cyl Continental (Great little engines!) I picked up for $500 for my wifes families warehouse. Did a tune up and it was running worse. Noodled on it for the night and realized like TTMAN4 I was forgeting the engine is in backwards. (Reversed.) So put the wires on correctly in the AM and off she went.

Chance jeffrey

Reaction score
Thank all of you for the suggestions and helpful tips you have provided I'm waiting for my roof(hail damage) to get done so I can move it around then it will be tear down time. Also if anyone is interested in an old banks turbo set up let me know