Just start using long unsued fuel tank?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of manual valves. I saw some installed where the handles were between the seat base and the door which would work great. Sadly I think around here in the salt belt they would meet an early demise under the cab....

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't everything though?

Some things worse than others. I replaced my new selector valve under warranty because it somehow got saltwater in it after one winter. I don't mind spending the money to fix it but I'm not spending $60 every year either. That made me pretty mad when I found out it wasn't working already.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's why I'm going to leave my FSV bypassed. Eventually, I'm going to buy a new rear tank and just run a generic inline electric pump to pump the rear tank into the front. That way, if thee pump quits, Then I still have the front tank to run off of. As long as I pump into the front tank when the gauge reads half tank (which is probably closer to 1/3 tank), then I'll never be stuck because the pump quit suddenly.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you going to make sure that the return line is feeding the correct tank?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you going to make sure that the return line is feeding the correct tank?

The way he's describing it he'll always feed and return to the front tank. The rear tank will be extra fuel storage that he can just flip the switch for the pump and fill the front tank.

At least, that's what it sounds like.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! He actually SAID that! Dangit! Why do I keep missing the obvious? Sorry about that, guys.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Sadly I think around here in the salt belt they would meet an early demise under the cab....

I would make good use of brass and stainless. There's anti-corrosive spray-on coatings (i.e fluid film) and waxed gauze wraps. We use both at work. Trace leakage also helps keep the rust away LOL

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Some things worse than others. I replaced my new selector valve under warranty because it somehow got saltwater in it after one winter. I don't mind spending the money to fix it but I'm not spending $60 every year either. That made me pretty mad when I found out it wasn't working already.

The new FSVs are lifetime warranty so in theory the store you buy from would have to replace annually, but it wouldn't be any fun to repeatedly replace, I admit. Unless they only honor it once.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I'm going to leave my FSV bypassed. Eventually, I'm going to buy a new rear tank and just run a generic inline electric pump to pump the rear tank into the front. That way, if thee pump quits, Then I still have the front tank to run off of. As long as I pump into the front tank when the gauge reads half tank (which is probably closer to 1/3 tank), then I'll never be stuck because the pump quit suddenly.

The way he's describing it he'll always feed and return to the front tank. The rear tank will be extra fuel storage that he can just flip the switch for the pump and fill the front tank.

At least, that's what it sounds like.

And that is actually a really good idea.

Wish I had thought of it or heard it a few weeks ago. LOL

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Yeah I've thought of that idea too. Just transfer pump from a reserve tank to the primary. I might consider that later on. I need to replace all the rubber hose from the tanks to the FSV and ahead of it too. Its probably 30+ feet of hose, both 3/8" feed and 5/16" return.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make good use of brass and stainless. There's anti-corrosive spray-on coatings (i.e fluid film) and waxed gauze wraps. We use both at work. Trace leakage also helps keep the rust away LOL

Waxed gauze wraps... there's an idea I hadn't thought of! Brass and stainless are great, until you mix a couple metals that weren't supposed to be mixed and make things worse with galvanic corrosion! Lost the rear plate bracket off the work truck. Made a new one out of brass because it won't rot as quick as steel, turns out it reacts with the cheap aluminum in the license plates even WORSE. Lasted almost a year.... New one is made from Stainless, holds all FOUR bolts instead of just the top two, and I PAINTED the back of the license plate. If that thing falls off again... I'll be mad LOL

The new FSVs are lifetime warranty so in theory the store you buy from would have to replace annually, but it wouldn't be any fun to repeatedly replace, I admit. Unless they only honor it once.

Meh, Mine was only 3 year warranty. It's an aftermarket, hence the $60 price versus $200ish. If it fails again and they won't warranty it I'll be going the same route as IDIBronco.

I'm planning on doing a lot of things when I do my 4wd swap. Some of them won't get done, but they're "planned" anyway LOL

I'm VERY strongly considering a 38gal rear tank. If my FSV fails again, I'll keep my front tank and use it just exactly like this. Always nice to have the extra reserve on long trips. I've thought about hooking up the 100gal in bed transfer tank in a similar fashion. It would be REALLY nice to fill up going down the road by flipping a switch!

... I need to replace all the rubber hose from the tanks to the FSV and ahead of it too. Its probably 30+ feet of hose, both 3/8" feed and 5/16" return.

Personally I'd run either steel or that new nickel-copper line for the majority of it and just rubber at the ends. Doesn't rub through as easily or degrade as quickly. For those long lengths, the steel would probably be cheaper than the rubber too.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm VERY strongly considering a 38gal rear tank. If my FSV fails again, I'll keep my front tank and use it just exactly like this. Always nice to have the extra reserve on long trips. I've thought about hooking up the 100gal in bed transfer tank in a similar fashion. It would be REALLY nice to fill up going down the road by flipping a switch!

Personally I'd run either steel or that new nickel-copper line for the majority of it and just rubber at the ends. Doesn't rub through as easily or degrade as quickly. For those long lengths, the steel would probably be cheaper than the rubber too.

I'm really, really interested in adding an aft-axle tank. Put the weight in the right place and huge capacity. Its a crappy spot to get at a spare tire anyway.

I like that copper nickel tubing... ust started using it for brakes. Rubber hose takes a lot of clamps to support nicely, and its not as rugged as metal.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Meh, Mine was only 3 year warranty. It's an aftermarket, hence the $60 price versus $200ish. If it fails again and they won't warranty it I'll be going the same route as IDIBronco

The O'Reilly one for my RV says "limited lifetime".

There seems to be only two electric aftermaket FSVs out there being made for all makes and both require an aftermarket harness be retrofitted to the vehicle:

- A grey one with two ports sticking straight up,

- A black one with all pointing to sides.

The black one is the one vans use.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup mine is the black one. Got it from RockAuto, might have been lifetime if I got it somewhere else idk. RockAuto site says warranty on this particular item is 36 months 36,000 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86