Just start using long unsued fuel tank?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that I absolutely HATE changing the FSV. That's why I'm going with my plan. What I used to do is have an air hose with a blow gun close by. The large o-ring in an oil cooler seal kit is the right size to slip into the feed lines. I'd cut one in two or three pieces, disconnect a feed line, blow a quick shot of air into it to push the fuel back to the tank (the fuel caps must be off before you do this), then drop the blow gun and slide a piece of o-ring into the feed line and proceed to the next one. This is to help prevent siphoning of fuel back out of the feed lines. The return lines may siphon some fuel, but don't seem to very often. This isn't perfect and there was usually a slight dripping, but at least it wasn't a steady stream. After this, you're free to change out the FSV without burning the hair pit of your armpits with diesel fuel. Also, in case anyone didn't already know this, never lay under the frame with your feet sticking out the driver's side. Always lay inboard of the frame even though it's not naturally the easiest position to work from. This will help to keep dripping fuel off of you too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hmm.... I found some dual valve, Y shaped thingys on Crapazon in 3/8" and 5/16". The 5/16" (AY5/16) is $11 and the 3/8" (AY3/8L) is $13. You only need one of each.

Beware of the "AY3/8" one on the listing, the primary pic for it warns that they are badly designed and leak. The "AY3/8L" is the improved one, it says.

https://www.amazon.com/Joyway-Shape...la-754177520852&ref=&adgrpid=70729709433&th=1

You could always look for others from different makers/sellers.

As long as you put the hoses on in the way shown below, you can just open one side and close the other of both Y's to match each other, and you would switch the supplies. But you would have to crawl under to do it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yup mine is the black one. Got it from RockAuto, might have been lifetime if I got it somewhere else idk. RockAuto site says warranty on this particular item is 36 months 36,000 miles.

Here is the one listed as limited lifetime warranty. It even comes with the harness and switch. $76 and currently qualifies for 15% off $75+, if shipped to home.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...50-econoline?q=Fuel+tank+selector+valve&pos=2

Look at the Napa's scheme. Both the same part I'm sure, but one is $14 less. The $65.88 Mileage Plus one has 1 year warranty, while the $79.99 Echlin one has a 5 year warranty. Probably no harnesses with them.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the one listed as limited lifetime warranty. It even comes with the harness and switch. $76 and currently qualifies for 15% off $75+, if shipped to home.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...50-econoline?q=Fuel+tank+selector+valve&pos=2

Look at the Napa's scheme. Both the same part I'm sure, but one is $14 less. The $65.88 Mileage Plus one has 1 year warranty, while the $79.99 Echlin one has a 5 year warranty. Probably no harnesses with them.

Have you decided that yours is not working? If so I missed that post.
I have the original FSV on both my 87 and my 94. I did have to replace the one on my 85 a couple years ago, but I have found them to be pretty reliable.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Have you decided that yours is not working? If so I missed that post.
I have the original FSV on both my 87 and my 94. I did have to replace the one on my 85 a couple years ago, but I have found them to be pretty reliable.

I don't know yet. I can hear it doing something, and the gauge reading is different for the rear vs front. In a week or two I'll know better.

I might pick up 3/8" and 5/16" hose barb couplers so I will have them on hand if it fails, so I can bypass it and supply the engine directly from one tank or the other.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When you're here, we can do a check. Somebody needs to flip the switch while someone else keeps a hand on the FSV. If there's a felt "click", then, in theory, it should be working.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironically the one that is lifetime through orielleys is the exact same part that is only 3 year on RockAuto. Same brand and everything. Shame there's no orielleys anywhere near me.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Dang. The FSV is leaking pretty badly when set to the rear tank. I just filled both tanks too. I'm debating making a manual valve setup with brass plumbing parts. Yeah I'll have to crawl under to access it, but once in a while isn't a big deal.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just posted a 3 and 6 port brass valve that works from the cab.
the old 5 ton trucks just in front of the driver seat on the floor
you can also rig them with an old school choke, shut off or pto cable

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just posted a 3 and 6 port brass valve that works from the cab.
the old 5 ton trucks just in front of the driver seat on the floor
you can also rig them with an old school choke, shut off or pto cable

One you posted is over $200.

I need something I can get in retail stores, I am on the road in the RV.

I guess I'll just use the front tank up first as close to 1/4 tank as I can get, then hard plumb the rear tank to the engine since it's the bigger tank, then only run that one. At least until I decide what I want to do. Just a few feet of new hose can bypass the FSV for one tank or the other.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Here is my FSV, with wire colors:

Green, yellow, white(?), pink(?), black(?)

Anyone have a Haynes manual laying around for Econolined? My F series one lists the diesel FSV switches in the schematics for 84-86 but fails to show the actual valve.

In 87-89 it shows the valve, but truck vs van wire colors are probably different, and its for 87-89 trucks, not an 85 van:

Elsewhere, I found this. It doesn't specify if the two styles of valve use the same connector pinout or not, and it only shows the later valve pinout:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, good news is it sounds like it is working. From what I know about the valve, if its only leaking on the rear, its likely the oring on the return line.
Those orings are easy to replace with a dental pic.
That is your easiest and cheapest solution.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Its hard to tell where it's leaking from.

I just know it left a big wet spot on pavement where I parked after I drove it on the rear tank. The FSV was visibly dripping off the bottom.

What O rings? The lines are all clamped on.