Jasper Engines

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
My 92 F250 IDI has one in it, truck has 310K on the clock and runs well. I've always been curious about the motor. I called Jasper and they were zero help, couldn't pull up any information for me. The guy stated that they haven't made a motor with green plates in 25 years and didn't keep the records on them. Can any of the Gurus chime on old Jasper engines? I thought it was a pretty interesting find!

Top number is Stock #
Bottom is product #

You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had a Jasper Reman'ed IDI. I know their "recent" quality has been poor. However, years ago, they had a good reputation.

As long as you aren't having any issues with it.... no worries.

Heath

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a jasper reman IDI in my bus. It runs, so I guess it's good.

I echo Heath's statement about their recent quality. I've got one of their remans on the shop floor now. 4.6 4v out of a cobra. We'll see if 3rd time is the charm, because this is their 3rd attempt at it in less then 10k miles. This time the valves stuck on #8 which hit and destroyed the piston. The rod then cut a gouge into the cylinder wall into the coolant, and then put a hole in the block on the opposite side. I got a feeling this one won't be salvaged.

I've started to rebuild a bunch in house, those that are in a time crunch we've installed ironclad engines from napa. We'll see how the quality goes.

Jim993

Reaction score
My Jasper was installed in April of 2007. It ran fine but the idle was rough. That was solved with replacement injectors in May 2007 at Jasper's expense. The truck also has a Banks Turbo which was transferred from the old engine to the new Jasper also in 2007. The "new" engine now has 41,000 miles on it 13 years later and runs perfectly.

We recently relocated from CA to AZ, drove the truck across the desert in August, 109 degrees at Needles, climbed to near 6,000 feet before getting to Prescott, 660 miles, 1000 pounds in the bed. Coolant stayed cool although the C6 auto got to 225 degrees on every long grade even though the truck has a good sized trans cooler out front of the condenser. AC going strong all the way.

Luda-Chris

Reaction score
These posts make me feel a bit better about it. I wish there was a way to figure out the mileage on it but that's just not possible. She runs strong though, I'd like to add a turbo eventually.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
These posts make me feel a bit better about it. I wish there was a way to figure out the mileage on it but that's just not possible. She runs strong though, I'd like to add a turbo eventually.

I wouldn't worry about it. Being a 92 (sold in 91?) and got a new engine around 95'ish (if 25 years since green plates were used on remans) then you can guess that that in 4 years, it night have gotten about 60k miles (based on 15k/yr average). Could be they drove it more, even as much as 25k a year if they did a lot or long distance driving, it might have even been up to 100k. Maybe more? So maybe the engine you have now is at about 150k-200k.

I bought a 2003 Taurus in 2008 with 150k miles on it (30k/yr) for fairly cheap ($4500: $1000 cash and a $3500 trade in to a dealer who really wanted the vehicle I had) because it's a station wagon and no one hardly wants them. Someone was using it for long distance transport of stuff since it had scratches from boxes(?) being slide in/out a lot across the plastic threshold in the rear. The carpet in the cargo area had no damage. Only problem it had was the rear window wiper motor doesn't work. My mom has dented the car up a lot since then so it's in fairly rough shape now, but it still runs and drives great. It hasn't needed much done, but she also doesn't hardly drive it. She has only put ~18k miles on it in 11 years.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have an old Jasper reman idi in a 92 truck. Not sure on mileage on it since rebuilt but probably a lot and they probably were not easy miles either. Even compression across the board at about 400psi +/-. Does not consume coolant or oil. So that's good enough for me.