it's always something..... (venting)

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
so tomorrow I start my weekend, and today I picked up new rotors and pads to take care of the front of my truck, I knew from when I had the tires mounted the pads were under 50%, so I figured nothing going on this week, I'll get it done and have some piece of mind......

coming home tonight, coming up to a stop light on the highway, hit the brakes, pedal went to the floor faster than the go-pedal does!! :eek: :eek:

got it stopped about 100' AFTER the intersection, looked in the master, no fluid in the rear reservoir (front brakes), filled it up, still no pedal, pumped the crap out of them, no pressure build, backed it up a little, got out, nice slimy brake fluid puddle on the road where my drivers side front tire had been, so now I get to go pick up new brake hoses and calipers tomorrow from Oreilly's, might as well do both sides and have it wearing all new parts on both corners.....

the truck's worse than the wife, she seems to know every time I have some extra $$ in my pocket she can spend for me!! :rotflmao

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
well at least your safe and no one was hurt tonight, i hope you get it all worked out as welle

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least there was no traffic to hit. The older the truck the more maintenance, just like us old folks.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
x2 on the rear brake hose.... Glad you got it stopped safely with nobody hurt or bent metal.... I call something like this as a Near Miss.... It needs to be talked about so others can learn before they have a accident where people or "things" get hurt..... Its better to talk about an almost accident than it is to have an accident investigation....:eek::D

CGBear

Reaction score
Just wondering why you're replacing the calipers after a line broke. Are your old rotors tore up? I know most people don't have a brake lathe in their garage like I do, but I can't imagine resurfacing the rotors would be more than these big ford rotors. It's your money, spend it how you want.....but if stuff isn't broke, why are you fixing it?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Just wondering why you're replacing the calipers after a line broke. Are your old rotors tore up? I know most people don't have a brake lathe in their garage like I do, but I can't imagine resurfacing the rotors would be more than these big ford rotors. It's your money, spend it how you want.....but if stuff isn't broke, why are you fixing it?

I'm fixing it cause it broke... sorry, just got it done, and thought it was funny :rotflmao

so, as far as why I'm replacing everything, instead of just what's broke:

pads were $28 for a set from Oreilly's

front rotors were thinning, I might have been able to turn them, but OEM replacements are $30 per corner from Oreilly's, and they fit 83-93/94

reman calipers cost me $38 each from Oreilly's, dual piston, single piston are something like $24

hoses were a whopping $9 each from Oreilly's

and the new lugs were $1.29 each from carquest

the only tools I used were the lugwrench, a hammer, the hub nut socket (got mine for $9 at Oreilly's), and a socket (3/8" I believe)

I took pictures of the passenger side corner, I'll post them up here in a couple of days in a new thread with parts numbers

Last edited:

CGBear

Reaction score
Cool, I guess I'm so used to everything costing way too much I figured you were spending when a cheaper alternative was available.:D My Bad!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I'm just shocked that Oreilly's actually had the parts you were after...the store down here where I am at is completely worthless. I usually have to go to Napa and pay a little extra, but at least they have parts in stock!

I remember when I had to get a new front driver's side caliper when mine locked up. Went to Napa, handed the old one over the counter, they handed me a reman and I was on my way.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
yeah, they had em all in stock on the shelf! LOL

the people at Oreilly's all know me by name, they should since I spend so much money there LOL

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my front hoses last weekend, they were completely dry rotted and the metal weave was showing through in a few area's. After replacing, the pedal firmed up and it stops much better. Go figure. I still need to do the rear, I guess I have something to do this weekend.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just shocked that Oreilly's actually had the parts you were after...the store down here where I am at is completely worthless. I usually have to go to Napa and pay a little extra, but at least they have parts in stock!

I remember when I had to get a new front driver's side caliper when mine locked up. Went to Napa, handed the old one over the counter, they handed me a reman and I was on my way.

It is just the opposite around here.

I go to NAPA, or any of the old-school mom-and-pop stores and ALWAYS get that "I can have it tomorrow."

O'Reilly's over in the next town, or Advance right here, almost always has what I need. :dunno

I really hate to see the old-school stores go out; but, I really can't give a good reason, other than nostalgia.

If I have a problem with a part from any of the chain-gangs, I can lay it on the counter and they hand me another with NO HASSLE.

On the other hand, it is like pulling eye teeth to get a bad part swapped at any of the mom-and-pop places, usually ending with a feeling of friction. :rolleyes:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the hoses, I had a set of braided stainless hoses made for my truck and the increase in brake response is dramatic. ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
How's the steel lines looking? I bought a 25' coil of 3/16 so I could replumb the rear without splices. I usually see holes in the steels before the rubbers go. Wind up replacing everything any way. Can't replace the feeling 100% new brake lines gives ya.:sly

I'm having same issues with parts stores also.:backoff Advance stuff just doesn't last, Pep Boys is a joke and the local Napa has been letting me down lately. South Jersey Auto Parts seems to be a local chain and there counter people are really good. We'll see how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online