Is this what I should expect (pulling up grade NA)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, keeping it. I’m giving it to my son next year when he starts driving. It’s too nice of a truck to get rid of.
So I was doing good running retarded before? I knew it drove nice, maybe I should have tried to pull the trailer before I messed with it. I’m gonna bump it back down. Should I turn the fuel back up again too?
Set it where it drives good and has the most power, with only 900* egt, you could go with some more fuel as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that while there is a general rule for setting timing on our engines, it's a good starting point. They all run a little bit differently and like slightly different timing settings.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I know it’s a bit of a drive, but if you bring your truck to me I can get it dialed in for you, an idi with a turbo tuned and running properly will laugh at 9k lbs. Something isn’t right if your truck is struggling that much with that load.

Maybe we can meet up this winter when I'm down that way, if you aren't busy around the time I get there. I wanted to get down that way last year when I was in the truck camper still, but ended up hopping on I-20 near Midland and going east bound instead. It doesn't look fun to reach the IP on a van chassis though. Lots of blind feeling around by the looks of it. Might even have to pull the turbo's air box off and reach it from behind? No idea. It might need the true factory wrench to reach the 3 IP mounting bolts.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it’s a bit of a drive, but if you bring your truck to me I can get it dialed in for you, an idi with a turbo tuned and running properly will laugh at 9k lbs. Something isn’t right if your truck is struggling that much with that load.

Wes tuned my 94 IDIT and it is unbelievable.

arizhntr

Reaction score
I installed a Banks on my 93 IDI 5 spd manual a few years ago. I was pulling a hill up to Globe Az with my 5Th wheel, approx 7500# loaded 4-5 times a year. 7 miles 7-8% grade. I used to pull in 2nd gear bumping 3K rpm most of the way up before. After the turbo install the first trip up I was half way up in 5th 1900 RPM and still had throttle left. I then looked down at my pyrometer and saw it bumping up to 1100 deg. I downshifted to 4th and kept the rpm's around 2200 and the temp dropped to around 950. I learned quick that I now had the power to pull but needed to keep the EGT's in mind. I eventually removed the Banks muffler and straight piped the truck and that helped with the temps. My next project will be to mount the 6.0 CAC I have in the barn.

wash man

Reaction score
I added a Banks Sidewinder to my 93 IDI. It really woke it up But I live at the beach in S.C.(flat land) It gave me some pedal at 60-65 on interstate when pulling a load.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could, just don’t know what to do.
Funny enough, I had the timing a tad low, fuel turned up and this thing ran like a ***** ape. I’ve always had past trucks more on the advanced side but this one worked great. When I bought the trailer, I turned the fuel down a bit and advanced the timing up to where you guys are probably all running.
I always thought towing and fuel turned up, were kind of a no go for pyro issues. On the longest grades, I was right at 900 degrees, which is fine because it never went higher. I think probably my biggest issue is, the timing isn’t perfectly dialed in. I’m still curios as to why it runs so hot on grades. On the flats and slight hills, it stayed cool, even in the scorching heat last weekend.
My other dilemma is having to keep OD shut off. 60 mph was screaming down the road
My timing is probably still a tad retarded but it’s not far off, I know that
Turbo trucks like more retarded timing, because you have more heat in the cylinder so you get a quicker burn. Run it where it feels best.

As far as OD, Banks recommends you tow in OD once you install the turbo - the RPM is too high otherwise, so you don't get any real benefit from the turbo fuel/power wise(you are up against the governor).
I know with my 5-speed, I'm pretty much always in 5th/OD towing if I'm going at least 55MPH; heck, I've got a GearVendor OD, and light trailers(a few thousand lbs or less) I'll even tow in *double* OD, if conditions are good(mainly level ground; can keep the EGTs in check and am not maxing out the motor).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online