1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this what I should expect (pulling up grade NA)

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by SLittle, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Set it where it drives good and has the most power, with only 900* egt, you could go with some more fuel as well.

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

One thing to keep in mind is that while there is a general rule for setting timing on our engines, it's a good starting point. They all run a little bit differently and like slightly different timing settings.

3. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

Maybe we can meet up this winter when I'm down that way, if you aren't busy around the time I get there. I wanted to get down that way last year when I was in the truck camper still, but ended up hopping on I-20 near Midland and going east bound instead. It doesn't look fun to reach the IP on a van chassis though. Lots of blind feeling around by the looks of it. Might even have to pull the turbo's air box off and reach it from behind? No idea. It might need the true factory wrench to reach the 3 IP mounting bolts.

4. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I think Wes is always busy. Of course, he also makes time for things like this too.

chillman88 and Cubey like this.
  5. rewbrooks50

rewbrooks50 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wes tuned my 94 IDIT and it is unbelievable.

Cubey likes this.
  6. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

And from the video... It sounds pretty darn sweet too!

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  7. arizhntr

arizhntr Registered User

I installed a Banks on my 93 IDI 5 spd manual a few years ago. I was pulling a hill up to Globe Az with my 5Th wheel, approx 7500# loaded 4-5 times a year. 7 miles 7-8% grade. I used to pull in 2nd gear bumping 3K rpm most of the way up before. After the turbo install the first trip up I was half way up in 5th 1900 RPM and still had throttle left. I then looked down at my pyrometer and saw it bumping up to 1100 deg. I downshifted to 4th and kept the rpm's around 2200 and the temp dropped to around 950. I learned quick that I now had the power to pull but needed to keep the EGT's in mind. I eventually removed the Banks muffler and straight piped the truck and that helped with the temps. My next project will be to mount the 6.0 CAC I have in the barn.

Cubey likes this.
  8. wash man

wash man Registered User

I added a Banks Sidewinder to my 93 IDI. It really woke it up But I live at the beach in S.C.(flat land) It gave me some pedal at 60-65 on interstate when pulling a load.

9. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

Turbo trucks like more retarded timing, because you have more heat in the cylinder so you get a quicker burn. Run it where it feels best.

As far as OD, Banks recommends you tow in OD once you install the turbo - the RPM is too high otherwise, so you don't get any real benefit from the turbo fuel/power wise(you are up against the governor).
    I know with my 5-speed, I'm pretty much always in 5th/OD towing if I'm going at least 55MPH; heck, I've got a GearVendor OD, and light trailers(a few thousand lbs or less) I'll even tow in *double* OD, if conditions are good(mainly level ground; can keep the EGTs in check and am not maxing out the motor).

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  10. wash man

wash man Registered User

I am also towing in OD.