Is this the one?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the dt has wet liners, so rebuilds are alot easier. no more machine shop for the block other than to maybe line bore it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh...I just don't see it unless you plan to REALLY put one of these engines to work. For what most guys do with pick-ups, a warm Cummins will get the job done and last a VERY long time. I don't see many normal people needing to rebuild their engines. Hell, we get 3 or 400,000 miles out of B series engines in our shuttle buses at work that have a disproportionatly high amount of hours to miles on them. If the choice were between the Cummins 5.9 or a DT360 in a medium duty truck, then sure, the wet liner/heavier duty argument would come into play. The fact is, 99.9% of pick-up owners will never need more than what a B series Cummins can provide.
Travis..

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I'm with Travis on this.

If I was building a pulling truck, then a DT466 would be my choice, only cause I have seen the hell they can bring.

But for a DD/tow rig/work truck then a Cummins would be all you ever need.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I said its an advantage, not that an engine swap is worth while. If you want to be different then maybe. But for me, I still feel there is a lot of untapped potential left in our IDIs that I would love to tap into before trying to swap to another engine. I wouldn't do a cummins swap either but many are happy with the results so all I can do is be curious from the side lines.

As it is, my truck is a mutt with parts spanning from 1986 all the way to 1998 and thats just staying with the ford product line. Having a non OEM setup makes me wonder a bit about being able to source parts if something hits the fan.

Wet sleeve is a nice setup though. Our 1949 ferguson has them and it makes rebuilding really simple. The disadvantage is a heavier engine relative to the power output since the block and cylinder are no longer a single piece (and therefore not as strong relative to their combined weight).

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key to a swap is to use as many off the shelf parts as possible. Don't use a lot of custom made things. That's why a complete donor truck is a good move.
Travis..