is there a gasket for the transfer case?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had my transfer case repaired by my local mechanic a few months ago. He is a very competent, hard working mechanic and he almost always seems to spend more than "book time" but never charges more and i would never question anything about his work. But, he has already sealed the transfer case twice and it is still leaking. The first time was shortly after he tested it out, i was going to come pick it up but got delayed for a week, during which time he realized it was leaking so he took the cover off and sealed with RTV then it seemed fine for a few weeks. But now it is leaving a small puddle on the driveway.
He said he could not find anything about a gasket for it so he used RTV (i am not sure the exact brand he used but i am sure it was the right kind). I just called him to tell him it was leaking again so he said he would try again to find a gasket for it. Does anyone know anything about this?

if there is not a gasket what can i do to stop the leak? I am going on a long trip in two weeks and would really like to have this fixed, but it doesn't seem like another bead of RTV will do it.
any advice would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Paul

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
My 1345 had no gasket and was sealed with the red/orange RTV... the key is making sure the mating surfaces are clean and not damaged and making sure the bead is even and clean.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also need to investigate exactly where the leak is coming from. I had a leaker, and someone had tightened the drain plug too tight and cracked the case.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also need to investigate exactly where the leak is coming from. I had a leaker, and someone had tightened the drain plug too tight and cracked the case.

thanks for the tip. were you able to fix the crack and, if so, how?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took a couple of tries. It had split in the threads also.

What I ended up doing was draining the oil, cleaning it up really good, and taking a small triangle file and filing a groove in the threads where the crack was, and also grinding out the crack on the outside, much like you would do a repair in drywall. Then I mixed up a batch of jb weld and filled the groove, and then screwed a hex bushing in the hole over top of the jb weld(the hole is originally 1/2" pipe threads). After that dried I put a smaller 3/8 pipe plug in the hex bushing for draining. It's held up for 2 years already.

maddenji

Reaction score
I have a junk 1356 ? in my barn. I would part it out if you really need it. There is no gasket. I sealed mine with red RTV.
Jim

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all else fails you could try permatex #2. That's what is recommended to seal the crankcase halves together on a Volkswagon bug :)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford shop manual says to apply a bead of RTV to assemble the cover. Allow at least an hour to cure before operating. The break down does NOT show a cover gasket.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your talking about the aluminum case 1356 you should use an anaerobic sealant. Permatex 51031 is what I use. make sure its squeaky clean and use an anaerobic activator as well. There are probably some other products out there that would work fine but this works great for me. Another product I would use is Hondabond 4, its for motorcycles and I think permatex sells an equivalent product now but it works awesome!

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we use loctite 505 on aluminum final drives on the newer John Deere tractors and it works great.It really sticks good,you just have to make sure it clean.;Sweet