Is the clutch pedal assembly available at the dealer?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering doing a tranny swap from the C6 to ZF-5. I almost had my hands on a doner truck, but it fell through. So I'm thinking about starting to collect all the pieces I need. I went to the pick and pull and found a manual transmission truck (bricknose), but the pedal assembly was worn out and loose. I don't want to spend money and time pulling something that I'm going to have to spend even more time putting bushings in or rigging it.

I thought I remember reading a post here that said that the pedal assemblies are still available. Has anyone ever bought a new one, or does everyone get theirs from the junk yard, then rebuild it to make it tight.

Thanks for any advice,

Archie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do a search, Towcat has a REAL nice article on that combination pedal assembly for the clutch and brake pedals with pictures and part numbers

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... So I'm thinking about starting to collect all the pieces I need. I went to the pick and pull and found a manual transmission truck (bricknose), but the pedal assembly was worn out and loose. I don't want to spend money and time pulling something that I'm going to have to spend even more time putting bushings in or rigging it.

I thought I remember reading a post here that said that the pedal assemblies are still available. Has anyone ever bought a new one, or does everyone get theirs from the junk yard, then rebuild it to make it tight.

Thanks for any advice,

Archie

Ok don't know about in US but here in Canada, we can get the bushing for the cross shaft cheap enough it warrants picking up a pedal assembly for rebuild. They are easy to do too! :sly

Heck you can even get the end with the clutch actuator pin that wears out and unbolt yours, remove it, rebuild the whole unit.

Then when you put the assembly in the truck with out the little arm on. Then connect the Arm/shaft to the MC (with new bushing) then put the other end on the clutch pedal cross shaft and tighten the nut down good. It forces the splines into the metal arm creating new splines and your good to go!:thumbsup: DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

I think I have around three of the 87-91 brick nose manual gearbox pedal assemblies here now IIRC:backoff just in case...;Poke

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pot metal bracket has been obsolete for some time now.
get the one you can find and rebuild it. the bushing kit p/n is in the parts bin.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a nice one at Pick and Pull

Went out to pick and pull in the rain today in Sacramento, ca. I found a nice one from a 1988 gas truck. The transmission was already gone, but I got the pedal assembly, steering column, and sheet metal plate with the shifter hole.

The pedal assembly is tight and in good shape as far as I can tell, but boy, that pot metal sure does seem brittle and weak. Once I had the pedal assemble out of the truck I accidently popped the clutch pedal over to the other stop. With that spring on there and no pressure from a master cylinder, I thought it was going to break the stop off of the bracket. I zip tied to to one side after that.

Thanks for everyones replies about finding a used one.

Archie

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if your truck doesnt have it you may want to think about adding the firewall reinforcement plate as an added measure of protection. these trucks are known to flex and crack the firewall around the clutch master cylinder.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your truck doesnt have it you may want to think about adding the firewall reinforcement plate as an added measure of protection. these trucks are known to flex and crack the firewall around the clutch master cylinder.

Yes that's a great idea Jason, he may as well plan for the install NOW instead of later...and since he's already in pulling column and pedals, it's so much easier to do now than having to re n re all the parts once the firewall flexes.

Check the tech articles and you'll find the thread.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
speaking of which....i need to take some pics of the new cab i got...its a 4/92 model and its a good bit different then the older firewalls. it has extra pieces welded to the firewall already.

i may modify one of my brackets anyway for more peace of mind..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of which....i need to take some pics of the new cab i got...its a 4/92 model and its a good bit different then the older firewalls. it has extra pieces welded to the firewall already.

i may modify one of my brackets anyway for more peace of mind..

Ahh...yes it won't take the 87-91 pedals then...hmm...different setup, well keep us apprised to what is happening if you build a new plate eh?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online