Clutch pedal to the floor

94f350

Reaction score
As I was about to leave to go to work this morning I went to step on the clutch pedal and it went straight to the floor, it was completely fine not even a minute before when I was driving it around my driveway. Can someone who knows how these clutches work explain it to me? I have a 1994 f350 with a zf5. Thank you.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there's a lot that could have happened. I've had the slave cylinder completely break in half. I pulled up to my mailbox to check the mail, and when I went to put it back in gear........ nothin. If it was a T19 the bell housing will break, but that's not usually a thing on ZF5s. Or the seal in the clutch master cylinder could have went caput!.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also the pedal itself to consider, the little plastic bushing that holds the rod to the pedal basically sucks.

94f350

Reaction score
Well, there's a lot that could have happened. I've had the slave cylinder completely break in half. I pulled up to my mailbox to check the mail, and when I went to put it back in gear........ nothin. If it was a T19 the bell housing will break, but that's not usually a thing on ZF5s. Or the seal in the clutch master cylinder could have went caput!.
I'm praying it's something easy and I won't have to pull the tranny

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had the slave cylinder slip off and just hang from the hydraulic line before. Put it back on, hasn't fallen off since then.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Look up under the dash at where the clutch master cylinder pushrod connects to the clutch pedal linkage.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember an episode of "the Twilight Zone" with a really young William Shatner and as him and a friend was driving to work he kept seeing this monster thing under his buddy's truck and he was like, "there's... something...on.. your transmission,.......NO!..... really.....I saw some....... THING on the transmission", I might be remembering that wrong, but you might spray some "Bengal" under there just in case there's a monster or an infestation of Captain Kirk. Just sayin.....

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember an episode of "the Twilight Zone" with a really young William Shatner and as him and a friend was driving to work he kept seeing this monster thing under his buddy's truck and he was like, "there's... something...on.. your transmission,.......NO!..... really.....I saw some....... THING on the transmission", I might be remembering that wrong, but you might spray some "Bengal" under there just in case there's a monster or an infestation of Captain Kirk. Just sayin.....
I think you mean that Shatner was on a plane and he had a window seat...which really was not a good outcome for him...he kept seeing a 'thing' out on the 'wing'...and no one else could..

The 'thing' was trying to rip apart the wing of the plane and was freaking out Shatners character... eventually he was put in a straight jacket and committed...hallucinations...maybe...

The thing about Shatner later on in Star Trek is...anytime someone or something was invited to his quarters you knew it was done for...some kinda way...he just had 'that way about him..'

This situation is not going to be that serious...gut feeling...

Hey 94f350...

It's gonna be all right...think Occams Razor...the solution is going to be the simplest one and you have all these good guys rooting for ya and helping you out...

Stay calm and look at it as if it were a customers truck and you need to figure it out.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's also the pedal itself to consider, the little plastic bushing that holds the rod to the pedal basically sucks.

Look up under the dash at where the clutch master cylinder pushrod connects to the clutch pedal linkage.
These are my bets. It's the bushing on the arm on the end of the pedal pivot rod.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think you mean that Shatner was on a plane and he had a window seat...which really was not a good outcome for him...he kept seeing a 'thing' out on the 'wing'...and no one else could..

The 'thing' was trying to rip apart the wing of the plane and was freaking out Shatners character... eventually he was put in a straight jacket and committed...hallucinations...maybe...
IIRC, after they hauled Shatner away, they really did find damage done to that engine and it wasn't from lightning.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:joker: Dying over here that’s the most classic twilight zone, that thing on the wing is hilarious.

Ya 94’ I’d probably check for fluid under the engine/front axle first and then also check the pedal assembly. People mentioned the plastic bushing part and that’s a common source of failure - if this is busted check out the “heim joint mod” around the forum and for parts online, it’s pretty cheap.
But that’d likely result in sloppy clutch pedal rather than it hitting the floor.

I’m no expert but the clutch portion of the trans seems relatively straight forward, the master cylinder is pretty easy to access, it’s bolted to the top of the firewall. Worth checking the fluid level inside here

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably my oddest clutch failure was when the master rod bent a clean 90 degrees

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably my oddest clutch failure was when the master rod bent a clean 90 degrees
Oh that's nothing, the strangest clutch failure I ever had was driving my wife's bronco that has an AOD in it after haven driven my dually and tow truck both with ZF5s for a long time, and coming up on a red light that changed real quick and stomping the floor board really hard to find there wasn't even a pedal there!......... talk about the TWILIGHT ZONE!!!