Is my turbo working??

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well been a couple months. Truck runs like a top, starts up every time no more fuel leaks. Was happy as can be till today!!

We took it out of town a few weeks ago climbed a not real bad grade and floored with no load she struggled to do 65. No smoke. Only when ya stomp you get some black not a ton. On flat she'll go fine, cruises nice at 75-80. With the airbox all removed it all looks great!! Impeller looks brand new etc.

I only ask this cause the previous owner( father in law) who let it sit 18 years!!!! Says oh that thing pulled every hill towing or not. I know these trucks ain't rockets, it seems to run just fine to me. So to make the wife happy ( it's her truck) I figured I'd ask. I don't have the tools to check it!!! I wish I knew what % the grade was. She was driving and I wasn't paying attention haha. I'd love to get more power but I think it's all ok. Is there a simple way to check? Or gotta have boost gauge pyro etc!!!

Thanx in advance.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A boost gauge is a must with a turbo so you know what your getting, also a Pyro so you don't hold the EGT temps over 1250* for more than a minute or two, longer than that, damage may occur.

Make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks, in the up and down pipes. Small leaks can make the boost ineffective.

What turbo do you have? ATS - Banks sidewinder - Hypermax or?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
1) need a boost gauge

2) it prob pulled like a boss because back in the day the speed limits were lower, and people weren't in such a hurry to get there like it is in todays world. There is a reason why the 55 on the speedo is a red hash mark :)

Stop by your local auto parts store, and get an off the shelf boost gauge, nothing fancy, get one with a hose, plumb it into the port on the turbo snail, I believe it is 1/8 NPT. See what kind of boost numbers you are getting. Only way to know for sure

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. A boost gauge and a pyro gauge are must have on any turbo. Think of them like a fuel gauge and a speedometer. Now try driving across country without them. no way to know speed or how far you have driven or what fuel is left in tanks. Somethings are must have or you take huge risks.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to get off topic but I talk to a lot of people that do or have owned an IDI and say how easily it will pull their 12,000k camper up any hill no problem. I mean I would never talk down a Ford but 180HP won't pull much at least not at 70. I guess 35 in a 65 with the truck WFO is just how the job got done.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your pulling a steep grade with an idi truck and the people out jogging are not passing you.........this means your turbo is working.:D

you need 3 items.in order of priority they are as follows:

1.EGT gauge.
2.uncrunched down pipe to replace that factory nightmare.
3.boost gauge.

you might not need them,but they are highly recommended.:D

1.intercooler
2.bull moose ip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online