Is he screwing me???

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Alright powerstroke God's, I need some advice here.

Took my dad's 2000 f350 7.3 in to a shop for a no start situation and to have trans/diff serviced. The shop said no start was due to 3 bad injectors which were caused by a clogged strainer in the fuel tank. ????? They replaced the 3 "bad ones" and "rebuilt" the other 5. Shortly after (less than a month) the truck develops a miss, ebpv fails to function properly (it makes a different sound than it used to IF it funtions at all) and there is an intermittent fuel leak that drains into the valley pan and down the drain hole. We took the truck back to the same shop to have the same mechanic address these new issues and also notified him that after he originally worked on the truck we noticed several loose ends that were not taken care of, such as, the fill tube for fuel tank was connected but the hose clamp was not secured, there was a stripped valve cover bolt on passenger side v.c, fuel guage read full all the time. He was very apologetic and said the employee he had working on the truck originally was no longer employed there. He agreed to look the truck over and "make it right".

Almost 3 weeks later my dad gets a bill for 4700$. The story goes: the miss was caused by a bad #3 injector(which was either replaced or rebuilt by his shop to begin with) there was also a burnt INTAKE valve on #3 determined by shop air test, the fuel leak was a bad fuel drain valve, ebpv was recommended to replace/delete, fuel float in the tank was somehow stuck or secured in the full position from previous *******. His fix was to replace the injector and valve, machine BOTH heads, replace ALL head bolts, reseal ALL injectors, new oil, new coolant(neither of which needed to be changed and could have simply been topped off after work was done) and new fuel and oil filters.

Now that you have the details, my question is does this make any sense for him to charge us for these repairs or is it most likely caused by his negligence to begin with? What causes or can cause a burnt intake valve? Do the head bolts have to be replaced when doing head work? Do injector seals have to be replaced when removing the injectors? It seems like highway robbery to me. Thanks for any input and for the record, I'm not trying to be a **** about this but something's telling me this guy is a crook.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles?

o-rings need to be replaced when the injectors are removed/replaced

I'd be interested in what the original "no start" condition actually was, instead of the mechanic throwing parts at it.

I've also never personally seen or heard of a 7.3 PSD with valve or head gasket problems.

FWIW the B10 life of the 7.3 is 200k miles, and the B50 life is 350k miles.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
how many miles?

o-rings need to be replaced when the injectors are removed/replaced

I'd be interested in what the original "no start" condition actually was, instead of the mechanic throwing parts at it.

I've also never personally seen or heard of a 7.3 PSD with valve or head gasket problems.

FWIW the B10 life of the 7.3 is 200k miles, and the B50 life is 350k miles.

According to the mechanic the no start was caused by low fuel pressure due to the clogged strainer in the tank. The clogged strainer, according to him, also caused the 3 injectors to be "bad". It's got 240k. Pyro never gets above 1100 and boost never gets above 16-18.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
240k is right around when the injectors can get tired, especially if not maintained (treated fuel, timely oil changes).

If your truck is stock, the boost psi and pyro temperatures seem correct.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
The bill was almost 5grand the first time and now it develops a problem with the very same component he worked on previously and it's going to cost ANOTHER 4700 to fix it?? Seems sketchy to me. Anybody else have any input as to whether or not a burnt valve could be cause by an improperly "rebuilt" injector?

mike_hurd2000

Reaction score
The bill was almost 5grand the first time and now it develops a problem with the very same component he worked on previously and it's going to cost ANOTHER 4700 to fix it?? Seems sketchy to me. Anybody else have any input as to whether or not a burnt valve could be cause by an improperly "rebuilt" injector?

A bad rebuilt injector can cause serious problems like Excessive smoke out the tail pipe, melting pistons and washing cylinder walls, hard start,miss at idle, poor fuel economy. I would guess number 3 injector was not installed right /with a bad rebuild and that is what caused the burnt valve. When you got it back the first time did it smoke a lot at idle and or driving it too. Did you get the old parts I would love to see a picture of the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk