IP gear holdendontmoven

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I have offered my tach sensor enabled IP gear cover to another member here because I have an aftermarket tach and don't need it. Now, how would you recommend that I remove the gear cover and hold the gear stationary for the few days it takes him to swap his and send it my way?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duct tape! I'm serious - remove your IP, remove your gear cover with one hand and hold the gear engaged with the other, then run a long piece of duct tape across the gear, add a few more to make sure gear will stay in place...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
There is a way to reinstall it and line it up correctly, I did it myself a few years ago, Ill see if I can dig up the instructions of the Duct Tape don't work,....

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotate the engine to TDC before you remove the cover. There are two dots stamped into the gears that should be visible and aligned with one another when the motor is at TDC.
I know this because the first ip swap I did I removed the ip gear cover, gear and all.cookoo and had to figure out how to put it together.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Rotate the engine to TDC before you remove the cover. There are two dots stamped into the gears that should be visible and aligned with one another when the motor is at TDC.
I know this because the first ip swap I did I removed the ip gear cover, gear and all.cookoo and had to figure out how to put it together.

Thats it,...^^^^ What he said,...! ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The gear cover tollarances are close but the cover will come off and it wont just roll away. It may roll to one side or other but... Its really a close fit at the block. Really best to bring it up to top dead center too. At least if something happens like the motor shifts you will have it timed properly and finding the gear timing is easy then.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score

Are you talking about #1 TDC?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The only problem is you can't easily see the dots as they will both be below the timing cover's upper edge - dental mirror time!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, number #1TDC. If you are not sure you are there you can remove the #1 glowplug and you will feel air rushing out the hole as you approach it. And its true about the slight visual problem. Dental mirror solves that, or take a wire and bend the tip and use it to feel them out.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'll try to article and info I followed when I thought my truck was out of time. It helped me to check mine and make sure that the top and bottom ends were in the right place.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
just a helpful note for all who read this. I found this out from a guy at work. if you pull the center top two water pump hold down bolts and install longer ones it will run through the cover and contact the gear. this is good info to know if you 1) lose a bolt and go hunting for another or 2) need to pull the cover and NOT retime the whole mess.

punk

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I like to keep it simple....

Yank the cover off - be careful not to jump teeth - then just clean a spot on the gears and mark it with some paint ... or take a center punch or scratch awl and make a mark. then you can take the gear and lay it on the bench if you want. There is enough room to sneak something down there.

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have offered my tach sensor enabled IP gear cover to another member here because I have an aftermarket tach and don't need it. Now, how would you recommend that I remove the gear cover and hold the gear stationary for the few days it takes him to swap his and send it my way?

if you aint taken it off yet--DONT!! i have one i can send him--

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
If it's faster for you I have a couple of those I could send you one, so you could swap it all out at once. I don't have any use for the ones with no tach sender hole.

If it'd help you.

Chris