interesting intercooler

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a van...and its TIGHT under hood...

on another site I was lookin at a thread for a *** mitsubishi delica 4x4 van...diesel turbo...

and saw this...

note hood scoop
You must be registered for see images attach

right side of picture..INTERCOOLER!!

got me thinkin...a fan powered intercooler...

I got the scoops...

HOW big does the intercooler need to be?? overall dimensions like 100sqin...200 sq in??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CFM is the most important thing, and then the efficiency is going to be determined by (as you said) the surface area, which is length, width and depth. My thinking when I got mine, was that the thickness shouldn't be bigger than the diameter of the pipe going in and out if it could be helped. So I tried to get one with the surface area that intercooler comparisons seemed to indicate might be required, which in my case was something like 29" X 16". You could do an underhood deal easier with a Van then with a truck I'd say, since you have the necessary slope to start with. For ease of installation and service, I would think you would do better with a long skinny one, then a short fat one. If that makes any sense. :sly

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
When dealing with tight spaces, a water to air system might be better. I doubt that you could get enough air to a big enough air/air system for a V8 anywhere other than the grill. Water does not need as big a radiator as it is more efficient. Scoop to water radiator then water to air/water intercooler. That is how they package it in most newer intercooled vehicles.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing the van, a Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe cames to mind, they came with smallish water intercoolers.
How about a stock (or 2) turbo coupe intercoolers, put one under each scoop. May not be the biggest baddest thing around but it would be better than nothing and might be an easy fit.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing the van, a Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe cames to mind, they came with smallish water intercoolers.
How about a stock (or 2) turbo coupe intercoolers, put one under each scoop. May not be the biggest baddest thing around but it would be better than nothing and might be an easy fit.

Well, actually they were air-to-air intercoolers, no water involved there.

Turbo Coupe intercoolers are actually really nice quality bar & plate units, they just aren't very big.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, actually they were air-to-air intercoolers, no water involved there.

Turbo Coupe intercoolers are actually really nice quality bar & plate units, they just aren't very big.
gasser IC's from the factory tend to be smaller units. biggest problem is the turbo lag on a smaller displacement motor. the factory IC is struggling to be a real benefit to the air charge as well as keeping the turbo lag to acceptable levels. My Buick GN had a 3.8L motor and even with the smallish IC, the turbo lag is scarry. Absolutely gutless until halfway through an intersection, then the hyperdrive kicks in.....hang on:eek:;p

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The intercooler really doesn't have much of an effect on lag, IMO...my Thunderbird now has a fairly large front mount with a couple feet of piping, and the lag is not bad at all. Has more to do with turbine & compressor sizing and exhaust flow than the IC.