Intercooler

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using 2.5" piping to make it easier to route. I've found the right size reducer for the intercooler. Question is, are y'all using the intake snail to plumb to, modifying it, or using a custom hat? Also what seems to be the best intake option. I see lots of 6637 filters (huge) and I know justin uses an aem filter (not sure which model)

on my IDI i found an exhaust adapter to go from 2.5 to the inlet size of the stock intake hat. i did some metal massaging and smoothing out to make sure it would fit and not tear the seal and it worked well.

i can say 3" looks cooler but 2.5" is much easier to route and more than sufficient for our applications. the aftermarket kit that hypermax used to sell was only 2.25" piping.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a more budget friendly option, I actually weld a bead around the OD of the stock intake hat then port and polish the ID to open up that choke point, a 2.75" boot fits tightly around the OD with a good bead. Works fine on stock engines running below 15 psi, but anything more than that you would want some more positive clamping.

Heres a picture from a previous build thread
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really is no need to run tubing bigger than 2.25. When I did the calculations, 2.25 was adequate; 2.5 was more than enough and 3” was way overkill. Running the 3” iC is not a bad idea as it’s just more surface area to get the heat out. I used 3” to 2.5” reducing elbows right off the IC to make the connections.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my IDI i found an exhaust adapter to go from 2.5 to the inlet size of the stock intake hat. i did some metal massaging and smoothing out to make sure it would fit and not tear the seal and it worked well.

i can say 3" looks cooler but 2.5" is much easier to route and more than sufficient for our applications. the aftermarket kit that hypermax used to sell was only 2.25" piping.

It sounds like 2.5" piping is the way to go!
Any pictures or a link to your I/C setup?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
It sounds like 2.5" piping is the way to go!
Any pictures or a link to your I/C setup?

sorry cant find any pictures off hand. i probably have some but i pulled my IDI for a DT360 swap.

i did do some research on pipe size here
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/what-size-intercooler-pipe-to-use.64017/

this is another cool thread to read through for ideas and such. sort of lengthy but people started posting pictures of different set ups
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/lets-talk-intercoolers.4911/

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sizing the pipe, 800 cfm is more than enough unless you are going to turn your IDI 7000 rpm that is.

[emoji16]

Looking at subways thread would say pretty much what I said, 2.25 is okay. 2.5 is more than adequate, 3” is way way overkill.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2.5” piping on the shop truck, it makes plenty of power, and you don’t have to cut much out of the core support to clear it.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry cant find any pictures off hand. i probably have some but i pulled my IDI for a DT360 swap.

i did do some research on pipe size here
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/what-size-intercooler-pipe-to-use.64017/

this is another cool thread to read through for ideas and such. sort of lengthy but people started posting pictures of different set ups
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/lets-talk-intercoolers.4911/

You gonna keep us posted on the DT360 swap? I'd be interested in hearing about this.