Intercooler plumbing

Dambnicetruck

DAMBNICETRUCK
Reaction score
Hey diesel gods, need some info. I want to get an intercooler for my factory turbo 7.3. I also plan on the large exhaust, aneroid and propane, as well as turning up the pump. My question is how do I plumb the turbo into the intercooler. I can't see a way to get anything onto the turbo outlet then plumb it over to the rad, then back in the manifold???? I look and see about 5 inchs between my turbo outlet and the manifold in? So how do I get the piping in there? Do I need special parts and elbows and a new intake part where the turbo blows into? I'm confused, I hear people have done it with powerstroke intercoolers , but I can't picture how to hook it up. Help me out guys, has anyone got a drawing or photos of how they did it. Please help, dying for more power, live in the rockies! :confused:

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
look on about the 6th page back...a thread called lets talk intercoolers...has your info with pictures ;Sweet -if you have more questions post in that thread and it will come back to the front page!

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy the complete kit from Hypermax.

Or you can buy a +1999 and up PSD intercooler for $100 to $150 and fabricate the plumbing yourself. For the intake connection, you either fabricate your own connection or buy one from Hypermax. The PSD connections come through at the bottom of the radiator support (pic1, pic2, pic3).
There is some cutting and decisions to be made. Here is someone else's photos If you mount yours low like he did, then the hood latch remains unmodified, but a lot of cutting. If you mount it higher, then the radiator mounts and hood latch will need to be modified. This is where mine is sitting this evening, waiting for the decision on which is better to cut and modify.

These folks sell transitions, hump hoses, straight connectors, spring loaded clamps to connect the intercooler piping.
These folks sell the spring clamps at about a third of the price of anyone else.

Last edited:

Dambnicetruck

DAMBNICETRUCK
Reaction score
It looks like the turbo has been moved in those pics you posted. I hoped I could keep the turbo where it is , and plumb around things. I notice the A/C pump had to go to. Need that. I'll check out that other thread, maybe I'll find something less intrusive. Thanks.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the missing a/c compressor too. However, I have see others that still had the a/c compressor so it can be done.

Reaction score
I removed the compressor because I removed the condensor. If you mount your intercooler such that you keep your condensor there is plenty of room under the hood for plumbing the intercooler.

If you are concerned about the plumbing. Mount the intercooler when you have time. You can drive your rig without the intercooler hooked up. Then look for the intake plenum, and eventually get to the plumbing. F350 did his own plumbing and intake plenum. He's had some issues with the hoses popping off, but I think he's got them solved. Do a search for Blizzard Air. He did a really nice job on everything.

Here is a fun little link to look at for ideas on plumbing...intercooler and exhaust.

Burns Stainless

Good luck,

Paul