install new injectors = get blue smoke and misfire?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i did that before and found one that had no effect on the idle... switched it out to no avail

i just spent the last 30 minutes putting the old injectors back in and voila, running like a champ now with no smoke. im totally perplexed.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I'd still run some diesel kleen, just to flush out the crud.

And for the new injectors, I know there are a few people on here with injector testers, maybe you can make a deal with someone to pop test all your new injectors and see if they're working right.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
yes i did take the diesel kleen advice, advance only had one bottle left... must be a popular time of the year for that

im pretty frustrated with these injectors. i have an international dealer close to my office, so i will drop them off and try to get some kind of explanation as to why they dont work. if it turns out they can give me proof, theyre going right back to the vendor and im getting a refund. i dont get much opportunity to spend money on this old pile, so i take what little it gets very seriously!

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I hear ya man, maybe some sand or something fell in the top of the injector while you were installing them, if that did happen, they won't work right, and I'd doubt you could return them (be your fault)

When doing injectors you have to work like a doctor LOL

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
yeah i thought i did pretty good with that. i left the rubber caps on until the last possible moment, right before the fuel lines went on.

we'll see what international has to say tomorrow.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching this develop and I'm surprised noone mentioned the possibility the injection pump is part of the cause. the new injectors has a higher pop pressure than the older ones and it is very possible the pump does not have the oomph to drive the new injectors properly. if the removed injectors pop off where they should, the injection pump is the next culprit.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I've been watching this develop and I'm surprised noone mentioned the possibility the injection pump is part of the cause. the new injectors has a higher pop pressure than the older ones and it is very possible the pump does not have the oomph to drive the new injectors properly. if the removed injectors pop off where they should, the injection pump is the next culprit.

Totally forgot about that

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
yeah definitely have to consider the injection pump... its the next item that needs to be replaced and i believe the last thing in or on the engine that is original.

it wasnt a totally wasted day as i found a significant oil leak and patched it up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just caught this thread and Towcat is dead on the money, there is no way that the new Delphis would all be bad, and the new higher pop will raise hell with a worn out pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Been "watching" this also and my wag has been the pump also. As poated by some very good mechanics... A known working but worn pump can't usually keep up with a new set of injectors. These pumps usually last around 100,000 miles. The decay so slowly we don't feel the performance loss... Till something is changed... Time for a uhaul pump or at least another pump of known quality rebuilder... Several rebuilders at spoken highly around here but... Please read the hall of shame... then you will know who NOT to buy from.... Usually cheaper isn't better....

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
okay ill go with that.

heres a strange thing i noticed when going back to the old injectors: my truck made a lot less noise. the diesel "clatter" was much louder on the new injectors... i suppose that is due to them being tighter and fresher all around?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be really good to know what the old ones were popping at.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Last spring when I swapped injectors, my truck ran/idled like crap, and the blue smoke thing. I swapped a few injectors around, but it only helped some. My injector pump began leaking diesel within a month after the swap. I replaced the IP... and whalaw! All the knock and blue smoke was gone. I started liking my truck again after that, more power too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBULL8
1/8" is way too much to move it at a time. 1/32" at a time, each 1/32" move equals 3-4 degrees timing. Don't move it while the engine is running, at least tighten the top nut between each move.

You can do it with it running BUT its possible for the ip shaft to snap, so i wouldnt reckomend doing it this way, i have done it but i would never do it to someones truck i was working on

*** :mad::confused: