install new injectors = get blue smoke and misfire?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
hi all. been a while since i posted here last but i have been hard at work making this kitten purr. or so i hoped.

i just installed a new set of bb delphis... not reman, new. i also redid my return lines because of a chronic hard start.

the truck starts great so that problem is solved, but i have introduced another: a stumble, blue smoke, and a knock (reminiscent of a detroit) under load. RPM doesn't matter, the truck just has to be slightly loaded and it goes to hell.

it never did this with my old injectors, but it was hell to start.

idle quality is good. off idle is good. cruise is good.

i havent added fuel conditioner in a while and this tank is several months old.

i dont know what my timing is, i just static timed it when i rebuilt the engine a year or so ago.

i need a jumping off point. i have no idea what changed over the course of installing a new set of equipment.

thanks for reading!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
losen one line at a time till it stops its misbehaving. Take that one out and get a new one. The delta's seem to be doing that even with new injectors

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
First try advancing the timing some, if that helps then advance till it runs like it should, if advancing dont work then retard the timing till it makes it run right

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
how likely is it a timing issue if nothing has changed other than my injectors?

im leaning more towards starvation but im willing to try anything. its tricky to diagnose a stumble like the one i have.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
losen one line at a time till it stops its misbehaving. Take that one out and get a new one. The delta's seem to be doing that even with new injectors

Do that first. I've got bad Delphi injectors before. Prolly one is stuck open. If it is it will be wet on the nozzle.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
how likely is it a timing issue if nothing has changed other than my injectors?

im leaning more towards starvation but im willing to try anything. its tricky to diagnose a stumble like the one i have.

Nine time out of ten when i have seen smoke and stumble like that its timing, now when you put new injectors in your old timing changes because as injectors wear out they advance the timing because the pop open earlier, so when you put new injectors the dont open like the old ones,(take more pressure and retards the timing, advance the timing its gonna fix it, worst senario, im wrong and your injectors are junky from were ever you nought them, but im 99%sure im right i have seen it way too many times

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
Do that first. I've got bad Delphi injectors before. Prolly one is stuck open. If it is it will be wet on the nozzle.
i gave that a whirl the first go round thinking it was just air... the idle suffered on each one but the problem never really went away

Nine time out of ten when i have seen smoke and stumble like that its timing, now when you put new injectors in your old timing changes because as injectors wear out they advance the timing because the pop open earlier, so when you put new injectors the dont open like the old ones,(take more pressure and retards the timing, advance the timing its gonna fix it, worst senario, im wrong and your injectors are junky from were ever you nought them, but im 99%sure im right i have seen it way too many times
no kidding? interesting, ill try this and let you know

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i gave that a whirl the first go round thinking it was just air... the idle suffered on each one but the problem never really went away

no kidding? interesting, ill try this and let you know

No kidding, i have a buddy that had an engine swapped into his truck by a truck shop, then it ran like you described, they told him it had an internal suctioncookoo *** i was like ah hell no, bring it to me, 15 minutes and advancing the timing i had that thing purring like a kitten;Sweet

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i wanna tell you, it is looking REALLY hard to get to the third bolt under the throttle linkage. i had to take the linkage and fast idle solenoid off and im still going to have to go out and get an S wrench to get any kind of spin on the nut.

this better work... :D

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i wanna tell you, it is looking REALLY hard to get to the third bolt under the throttle linkage. i had to take the linkage and fast idle solenoid off and im still going to have to go out and get an S wrench to get any kind of spin on the nut.

this better work... :D

I just use a shorty wrench, when i dont have that availible a regular wrench works, you just have to cuss more, and skin you knuckles more, just advance the timing to start with, it should get slightly better each time you move it till finally it will run perfect when you get it advanced enough

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
the other thing is that i cannot get a wrench to go on there snug. 14 doesnt fit, 9/16 is loose. i cant really spin it that well with a loose wrench.

and i really dont see how you can get it even with a stubby... my box end is oversized to the point where i cant even get it on the nut with the way the flange is cast.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the other thing is that i cannot get a wrench to go on there snug. 14 doesnt fit, 9/16 is loose. i cant really spin it that well with a loose wrench.

and i really dont see how you can get it even with a stubby... my box end is oversized to the point where i cant even get it on the nut with the way the flange is cast.

The nut might be slighlty stripped, you need a thin walled boxed in wrench, if you dont have one make one, take a bench grinder to a cheap wrench and make it fit, when i put my turbo on i couldnt find my stubby 9/16 wrench so i cut one in half and used it that wayLOL

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
okay so i worked up a wrench that will loosen the pump. i dont know if im adjusting too much or not enough because it had no effect on how the truck runs, idle or otherwise. i went about 1/8th of an inch from the witness mark.

i also loosened the lines one by one and all but one had a pretty significant effect on idle quality. im going to change out the one that had little effect on the idle and see what happens.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
okay so i worked up a wrench that will loosen the pump. i dont know if im adjusting too much or not enough because it had no effect on how the truck runs, idle or otherwise. i went about 1/8th of an inch from the witness mark.

i also loosened the lines one by one and all but one had a pretty significant effect on idle quality. im going to change out the one that had little effect on the idle and see what happens.

which way did you turn the pump?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
went to the passenger side to advance, drivers side to retard

changed #8 to an old injector, still no change :(