Inside the turbo

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I found OIL!!!!:eek: :***: and no I don't run a cdr -cuss so I guess I'll need a rebuild on this turbo (new Hypermax less than 20k miles -cuss ) I asked Towcat to make sure and the wise thing to do would be to have it professionally rebuild. So does anyone know of a local shop that could do a rebuild on this Hypermax pulse turbo?

Thank You.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! Where could it be coming from? You might talk to Hypermax and see if they will help you out. I know they won't do it for free but maybe they will help you out. Their unit shouldn't fail at 20K miles...no way. If you want to just go get it done....you could find any local fuel injection and turbo shop...maybe Mel's super secret Moose Pump vendor? You could always go with Ken...he's inexpensive, his work was satisfactory to me... you just never know when you'll get it back. It was ~400bucks for a turbo kit, a new compressor wheel and his labor on my ATS. Of course I've always heard good things about Majestic turbo...in that for about $350 plus shipping flat they will get you a like new unit and have quick turnaround time. So you talked to Calvin and described the symptoms and he thinks you need an overhaul...I guess you probably do... he knows his stuff....sorry to hear that:dunno

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The oil could not come from anywhere else, what sucks is that not only it is new I have an rdt to avoid oil inside the intake :mad: . There is no back/forward play but it does move to the sides maybe less than 1/8".

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should talk to the folks at Hypermax and see what they say... I wonder if you would risk damaging anything to just leave it like that. How could it have gotten damaged? I'm sure you take good care of your stuff....maybe their workmanship/QC could use some help?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm trying to find their web page, do You have it?
The pump is not even turned all that much and I have no idea how can it start leaking in 20k miles. I fund a couple shops around here and will give them a call, I don't want to be shipping it if I can avoid it, I use the truck for work too and can't afford to have it sitting for many days.

Thank You.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found it. They have always been really helpful to me when I've called there and Mel and Suzy have had real good experiences with H-max.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
any oil in there is a failed seal.Usually caused by a failed bearing.Also,if any oil is getting by the seals REMOVE THE TURBO NOW!It will scatter or worst runaway and scatter the engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now hang on there.... Hypermax educated me a bit when I did the Lady Moose turbo. There was all kinds of oil in the exhaust housing, and I made the comment that it looked like the seals were probably not working well and that I would have to send it in. Now I'm not saying this is not the case for EZ, but what I learned was that turbo seals are designed to seal during operation. Not at rest! So if you put a pre-luber or something like that on, you may very well see an oil leak, because the exhaust gas pressure, and compressor input presures are needed to help seal the bearings. The big question for EZ is, do you have abnormal oil consumption, and where are you seeing this oil and how much?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you just lightly load the engine the turbo is going to be wet, hook onto something and load the hell out of it and I bet it cleans up.
Years of experience with "wet stacking", diesels like to be worked.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I'm not the smartest cat in the litter & stand to be corrected & I still learn everyday, but here's some $.02......
And I'll probably go out there & fire mine up in a minute & it'll swallow it't guts, but my turbo has probably over 600K (on 2 engines) on it ....??? Not sure, but ballpark. My extended warrantys kept breaking my speedo years ago....:rotflmao :rotflmao

I actually probably need to get mine checked out & think about a rebuild as hi-miler as mine is. My ATS non gated has a little side slack since it was new when I wiggle it. & I have seen a little oil residue inside my intake pressure side "bonnet" when I've had it off before, & I've had a RDT for about 3 yr now.
My understanding also is that turbo seals are designed to seal during operation under oil pressure. Not at rest. That's one reason 'ya need good ample oil supply to turbo.

That's one reason I installed an Isspro shutdown pyro switch thingie on mine early on to let oil & turbo cool down before engine shuts down. I was told it needed to cool down to at least 300deg F before shutdown....I set mine at about 285-290. This lets oil cool down instead of slowly "coking up" slowly inside turbo & running risk of restrictions.

And I'm a big believer in changing oil....oil is cheap, especially if 'ya run it used back thru fuel!
And I don't like to idle diesels for very long....idle RPM's up some if 'ya gonna sit & idle for very long....they do "load-up/wet stack"

Anyway, my $.02.....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You are right Mel, I just finish talking to the guy at HY, great folks btw, and He said something like what You just said too. He also asked Me if I punched the holes on the valley pan (I didn't) and that I should first punch them and see if it changes anything that the turbine should have a minimum play anyway bc they are supposed to seal under pressure. I don't burn much oil, about 1qt every oil change but I do have a leak I haven't got rid of yet.

I will punch some holes today then and put it back, feel much better I don't have to spend that money yet.

Question, will it help at all and what exactly if I cut the pipe on the downpipe and weld a 4" pipe behind it? The guy at HY said nope not at all but we sell them if You want one, the flange that is.

Thank You.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well, it is all back ON. I will be following the intake really close to see if punching the holes in the VP will stop the leakage. Btw it is not very clear how deep one should go, I'm use to use a hammer and chisel and I was afraid I would go too far since I notice the 2 under layers are not too far apart. I punched as many holes as I could (10-15) and the test run didn't point any new issues, hope it all stays good for long this time.

Thank You all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7