In case of EMP

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
custom pockets on all 4 corners of the vehicle for additional fire support.
PTO type transfer pump
propane flame down the intake would light it off?
kind of why I got into these things.
the MANchero will be the fuel runner.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Anyone else have ideas on how to make these a very simple apocalypse-proof vehicle?

You are assuming fuel would be available long term. Odds are you wouldn't be using your food to generate biodiesel.

A bicycle would be more ideal. With baskets, it's basically a wagon if you are just pushing it, not riding it due to a hill or whatever. Stock up on bike tubes, tires, brake pads, chains.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Just replace the top hat of the pump with one already setup for a manual shutoff, plenty of ag use db2s and dm2s that were setup this way

i already have a cable shut off for my engine swap and like it.

for an idi it was suggested by midnightrider years ago to simply add a 1/4 valve to the inlet of the pump with a cable attached to retrofit any regular injection pump. that is if you cant find a replacement manual top.

as far as an EMP you cant just add a cage around the components. it is the wires that pick up the atmospheric voltage and transmit it into the components. you need to add wire shielding around all of you wiring also and ground it to keep the whole system at the same ref.

even if you can keep your vehicle running, i would be much more worried about all of the rest of the desperate people around me any time i tried to drive it. like ringing the dinner bell for anyone around.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even if you can keep your vehicle running, i would be much more worried about all of the rest of the desperate people around me any time i tried to drive it. like ringing the dinner bell for anyone around.

this is where a turret, an A gunner, a B gunner, and ammo supplier come in handy.... FPF!!!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are normal people. The scummy freaks who steal trucks wouldn't figure anything out.

Normal? How dare you! I'm not a scummy freak bottom feeder but I've seen the new normal... No way! LOL

My only question is... When this all goes down where are we all meeting LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normal? How dare you! I'm not a scummy freak bottom feeder but I've seen the new normal... No way! LOL

My only question is... When this all goes down where are we all meeting LOL
if youre in northern CA, ill be at the end of pecks valley road.
STOP AT THE END OF THE PAVEMENT AND DISPLAY A WHITE FLAG.
accidently travel on to the dirt road, and you wont live to tell about it :D

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Option D: All of the above lol

Florida is the one with water on 3 sides of most of it... but, land doesn't work that way. It would be covered in water from rising waters, not sunk into a stable level.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
For years, I smugly figured with my VW Rabbit diesels, 7.3IDI F250 and diesel tractors, the hungry hoards were my only problem. It then occurred to me that law enforcement and emergency services would quickly confiscate the road vehicles so I would be going to town on a tractor or hitching a ride with the Amish neighbors who utilize my technology now.

Clemens Kruse

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. But I can calm you down. I might not know much about Diesel engines, or 7.3idis. (Be prepared- I’m planning on rebuilding a 7.3idi with turbo and will have a lot of stupid questions) But I’m working in aerospace and did a lot of electrical testing. (Mostly EMI) And we do a lot of similar test. We test a normal cabin electronics on electromagnetic susceptibility levels that will harm your body. But these levels are far away from EMP levels you have in mind. Considering the metal structure, the iron block and the ancient electric setup of an idi, I can ensure you - in case of survival- you gonna drive your truck until the last drop of oil. And then you have to collect plastic (there is enough of it in the us for everyone) to make diesel out of it. But your glow plug controller, shut off valve and your starter and alternator will run like charm.

Gr8ful

Reaction score
I have a'93 7.3 IDI 88,000 miles Ambo & a '98 Cummins 12 valve, last month made 115,000 miles 12' flat bed dually . Both 1 tons non computer & not getting rid of either.

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
@nelstomlinson

Had the same problem back in the 90s in a 1972 Dodge Polara my dad willed to me. I was up in the top of Yosemite backpacking alone. When I got back to the car the electromagnetic clutch was squaking badly and finall seized. A ranger called the gas station in the valley and a big boy driving a heavy duty rig drove up and cut my alternator belt so I could drive. Genius...not. But it let me drive with no juice going to the battery.
I had to drive down the mountains, through Fresno, and another 20 miles to Kerman where I lived stopping along the way at gas stations to put some juice in the battery. Almost made it home on one candle power in the headlights (it was now dark). Almost got hit at an intersection in the middle of nowhere when a car almost didn't see me coming and I couldn't stop or the engine would die. Made it next to a canal and house with a tall chain linked fence around the property. I yelled to the home to see if I could use their phone. They didn't even come out but called my buddy who came and towed me back in (or brought me a battery, I don't remember which).

This taught me to have an extra battery on board and to have extra battery operated lights. I have LOTS of those red triangular LED lights from Harbor Freight that I use for red rear lights. They have solid white light, solid red, and flashing red positions. I tape them on the back of whatever I'm driving. As for front driving lights you'll have to use some off road lights that you can run on your extra battery.

Nice that we have cell phones to call for help now (if you're somewhere you can get a signal!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7