I'm winning this please don't bid!!!

SKimballC

Reaction score
You are going to have real problems trying to find the parts to make that thing work, especially the pedestal/oil drain. Those parts haven't been available from ATS in a long while. Unless you get it for a song, I'd pass and try to find a complete kit or at least one that there's still parts available for.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey i found me a turbo ebay ;Sweet so please don't bid?:eek: can that piece be welded? and what else will i need? thanks guys!!:thumbsup:
It broke in the area where quite a few here had problems sealing the exhaust downpipe. Can it be welded? Only by a welder who really knows his ****. Will it still crack? Very possiblily so. Why? the downpipe is very dependant on the cast iron part to shrink onto the pipe to get it to seal otherwise you are going to have to live with some pesky leaks. One last thing. ATS doesn't support the non-wastegated turbos anymore.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Looks like the crossover and y/up pipe are missing too. Looks like you'd be in for some serious fabrication.
Find out where in Arkansas the seller is, if it's not far from here ( Conway ), I might be able to go by and take a look at it for you ( don't worry, I've already got a turbo :D

----Robert

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My thoughts are its good for parts but it will never work for you. I was a welder for years and thats not a boust. That crack is not going to repair. At least not by some shade tree welder. What you could do is buy it cheap, then send the broken parts to Diesel Cast Welding. They have a web site. They state they can weld cast iron but its up to you from there on. Buying it and still watching Ebay for the same turbo in bad condition may get you one complete good turbo. Promar in New Jersy may be able to weld it for you. Anybody that welds it will need to machine it also.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
[QUOTFind out where in Arkansas the seller is, if it's not far from here ( Conway ), I might be able to go by and take a look at it for you ( don't worry, I've already got a turbo
E][/QUOTE]

Gee I was in conway last year for the Chuckwagon races.Do chuckwagons use turbochargers???:rotflmao

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
My thoughts are its good for parts but it will never work for you. I was a welder for years and thats not a boust. That crack is not going to repair. At least not by some shade tree welder. What you could do is buy it cheap, then send the broken parts to Diesel Cast Welding. They have a web site. They state they can weld cast iron but its up to you from there on. Buying it and still watching Ebay for the same turbo in bad condition may get you one complete good turbo. Promar in New Jersy may be able to weld it for you. Anybody that welds it will need to machine it also.

I've got a good machine shop near by that might be able to weld it?
Plus parts are parts? Right?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've welded cast iron before, there is special rod to do it. As with any internet turbo setup, make sure the "deal" won't cost more after the repairs and parts needed to finish the install.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats a different kit than mine. And I have a non waste gated one. Maybe thats the early one with the smaller down pipe?
A good turbo shop can find a new exhaust housing.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, another thing. If he dropped it hard enough on the housing to break it like that it likely bent the turbine shaft (trust me, I had one dropped in the mail in a padded box and it still bent the shaft). They dont take much to screw em up to where they wont spin.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I've welded cast iron before, there is special rod to do it. As with any internet turbo setup, make sure the "deal" won't cost more after the repairs and parts needed to finish the install.

well at $106 shipped to me that ain't half bad? :eek:
if its a non-wastegate what will i see for pressure? I'd like to get this for my project 7.3?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
non-wastegated, as I understand, in theory will boost until it blows if you keep your foot in it. But thats in the very high rpm range, where you have no business at anyway.
But anyway, it should reach about a max of about 9-12 from what I understand.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
hmm, was it somone from the board that outbid you?
Makes me wonder if I should be posting about my gauge cluster Im bidding on.
I know most would respect the fact that another member has bid on it, but for some honor means nothing, been there done that with a camaro forum Im a member of. I hope this club isnt like that.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
[QUOTFind out where in Arkansas the seller is, if it's not far from here ( Conway ), I might be able to go by and take a look at it for you ( don't worry, I've already got a turbo
E]

Gee I was in conway last year for the Chuckwagon races.Do chuckwagons use turbochargers???:rotflmao[/QUOTE]

Naw, I doubt it, judging by the incomplete combustion fumes that come out of the back end of those things :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

------Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online