1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm back in the IDI game!

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by homelessduck, Apr 16, 2020.

1. lotzagoodstuff

lotzagoodstuff Supporting Member Supporting Member

Those pics are..........confusing. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that think was parked on it's side in a lake!

Strange that the uphill side of the valvetrain is so rusty, even if it was caused by a bad oil cooler.

Whatcha gonna do with all those rusty components?

:popcorn

homelessduck likes this.
  2. homelessduck

homelessduck Full Access Member

It is definitely worse than I was expecting. Funny thing is when I unlocked the engine it fired right up and sounded good! At this point I'm not sure what route to take with it. I need someone to sell me some lift brackets so I can get this thing pulled and torn down. If anyone has a good engine near Southern Oregon PM me!

3. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

I might have one lift bracket. Would that help helps you?

homelessduck likes this.
  4. lotzagoodstuff

Just pontificating here with a CL in my hand:

So assume cooler leaked, engine was warm and some water/glycol came up the pushrods and onto the rockers before it was last shut down. IMNSHO, the water could have promoted all the corrosion, primarily because under the valve covers was exposed to air for however long it was parked (how long again?). The bottom end and or bores might not be that bad as they got an oil or diesel bath and maybe didn’t corrode. I mean half of the rockers look pretty good, I’m guessing from a coating of oil that never got washed off.

It sounded like it ran pretty fair, I’m just saying it would be interesting to mark all the pushrods/rockers/hardware showing any sign of corrosion, pull them off, Brad blast or media tumble them to clean them up, put it back together run it. You could cut open some filters and/or do a Blackstone analysis. Fun experiment that won’t really cost you anything but time.

You could do a compression test too, but what’s the fun in that? :D

homelessduck likes this.
  5. homelessduck

Possibly! But I'm hoping to get a pair.
    I did end up doing a compression test lol. I think it was #6 with low compression (250 or so ) and the others were 450+. I am really hoping you are right and the bottom end looks much better! I don't have a way to blast them.. Would a soak in vinegar do the trick?

saburai likes this.
  6. lotzagoodstuff

Sure: vinegar, a wire brush, wire wheel, etc. I would just make sure you really mark all the pushrods, rockers and hardware to make sure they go back in the same spots when you are done.

Again: you got nothing to lose as it already ran with the parts that are in it. Just wondering: what did the oil look like?

homelessduck likes this.
  7. homelessduck

Not good lol. Super thick, definitely a lot of coolant in it. I didn't notice any metal though.

8. homelessduck

I've been soaking a set of rockers and pushrods in vinegar for a few days.. Are the pushrods coated with something that the vinegar would remove? It looks like it did..

9. aggiediesel01

aggiediesel01 Full Access Member

One end is supposed to be coated with Copper? or at least a copper colored coating. Isn't vinegar what you soak pennies in to make them shiny again?

homelessduck likes this.
  10. homelessduck

Yep , the rocker side of the pushrod is coated in copper right? Anything on the shaft? I have heard that about pennies but never tried it. I don't think vinegar eats copper..(?) . But it definitely looks like it ate something off the shaft. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

11. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I've seen brand new push rods that didn't have any copper on either end. I'm not sure after all this time, but I think that maybe they were Sealed Power brand.

homelessduck likes this.
  12. homelessduck

I definitely would not recommend soaking your pushrods in vinegar... lol. 20200813_103550.jpg 20200813_103648.jpg 20200813_103724.jpg

13. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Well it does look like the vinegar removed most of the rust.

Dirtleg and homelessduck like this.
  14. Scotty4

Scotty4 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Acids will always remove imperfections from mill operations: rust and scale often are left depending cold roll or hot roll. If Ford/IH were trying to save a penny, they maybe used a cheap hot rolled material. I've removed milscale, rust, galv with muriatic acid and vinegar quite a few times and there is usually etching left from manufacturer.

homelessduck likes this.
  15. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I thought that the push rod looked like it had the remains of very bad rust. That's what the pitting looks like to me.

Scotty4, Selahdoor and homelessduck like this.