IDI Swap?

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided not to buy a idi truck as if have two trucks right now, and intill my mom moves somewhere else or i get my own place to put my crap i have plenty. Anyway... I have instead decided to swap in either a 7.3 or 6.9 diesel into my 83' 2wd f250. Right now it has a half way torn apart 300 with rod nock. Its been rusting open to the elements in the truck for 15 years or so. Since i need to get a used engine to replace it anyway decided to just get an idi. Now i have a few questions. I know the wiring is pretty simple and i can look that up, for the glow plugs, high idle, etc. Pretty simple wiring for these diesel. But, i wonder about the radiator as the diesels use a huge radiator, and a different core support. Will the gasser core support work if i cut piece out? Or will a high quality after-market radiator the size of the gassers radiator work? I realize i will have to get a bell housing for my t18 so that it will bolt up to the diesel. Unless the input shaft is also different. I plan to start this the coming summer.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your suspension wont handle the weight of the idi engine so figure on upgrading the front end... At least the springs. You probably will need the motor mounts supports and the trans cross member. Others with first hand knowledge will add to this.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiring is indeed simple; it gets even easier if you choose to run a manual push button for your glow plug controller.
Not sure about the T-18 fitting: I do know that a NP435 will bolt up in place of T-19
As for the core support: I have heard of a few people using a 460 radiator on a IDI and it seems to work ok IF you don't work the motor very hard. I took a 460 out of my truck and replaced it with and IDI, and the IDI radiator is WAY bigger than the 460 radiator was. Since I was going to be towing a big 5er around, there was no question as to which radiator to use.
Your best bet would be to buy a whole truck with a running IDI in it. Preferably manual. That way you could pirate the engine, trans, clutch, radiator, core support, motor mounts, wiring, fuel tanks, and whatever else you might want from the donor vehicle.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
These trucks need 1 wire for operation. High idle is included in that 1 wire. Just 12v when you want it running, the high idle and advance is controlled by a thermostatic switch on the pass side head that gets 12v with the fuel shut off solenoid. The cold start switch will automatically open after engine temps reach 112F and the high idle and advance kick off.

As for your swap i did the same but i used a 4 core gas radiator. No issues with cooling so far. Has dual electric fans. Run the a/c already with the turbo running hard and a duramax in tow. My mechanical temp probe is in the overheat position and i've had yet to see over 220. I'm sure if i load her real heavy in the mountains i'll have issues.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they have heavier springs for the front? It is a f250 so its not like you couldn't get an idi in it in 2wheel drive. Probably just need heavier coil springs. I have no room for a donor truck so i'm just going to piece this together as i go with parts and engine from some parts places around here. We don't have pick and pulls or anything like it around here. In now rush. With a mechanically fan i can imagine that it would cool better than electric fans. There was a discussion over on fte of electric fans vs the mechanical fans the consensus was that mechanical was better than the electric. But other than that it looks like a straight forward swap. Thanks guys. It is not a light duty f250 either its gvwr is 8600. I believe its rated for 2500 or so on the front iirc.