IDI questions

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hope you had a great labor day weekend! Personally, I went to the smoky mountains, beautiful out there! Also saw IDI's here and there on my drive, some of them might have been members here! I particularly remember an all-tan one with a big off-center smoke stack. It looked like it was in great condition.

That actually brings me to my subject, I am looking at buying an IDI and I've found one I like, except for the smoke stacks on it, the guy wants $3200 for it. It has 158,000 on it, very low rust, 2WD, nice looking interior.

I was wondering, are these smoke stacks sell-able? Are they worth anything? I've added a picture to this post.

The lights on top of the cab also seem quite large, is this after-market?

You must be registered for see images

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone would buy them at a swap meet or in the local trade paper. The problem is you will still have a hole (or holes) in the bed. Not sure if those lights are aftermarket or not. My IDI's don't have cab marker lights on them. I agree, they do seem to be a big larger than others I've seen.

Heath

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hope you had a great labor day weekend! Personally, I went to the smoky mountains, beautiful out there! Also saw IDI's here and there on my drive, some of them might have been members here! I particularly remember an all-tan one with a big off-center smoke stack. It looked like it was in great condition.

That actually brings me to my subject, I am looking at buying an IDI and I've found one I like, except for the smoke stacks on it, the guy wants $3200 for it. It has 158,000 on it, very low rust, 2WD, nice looking interior.

I was wondering, are these smoke stacks sell-able? Are they worth anything? I've added a picture to this post.

The lights on top of the cab also seem quite large, is this after-market?

The truck looks good, but you cant judge a book by its cover, check over everything just to be sure.
You can sell just about anything, thoes stacks are worth something...... $100 for the set mabey ???
Cab light do look large .. probably aftermarket, they are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace if you dont like them.
Looks like a good truck, I would try to work him down but $3200 isnt that bad for a truck like that I picked mine up for 3k and it
did have perfect interior and paint .........did.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cab lights are HUGE! I would agree if you were trying to move those stacks fast $75 bucks and I bed they would be gone THAT DAY if you posted on CL.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That rig looks good for the asking price. Cab lites are kinda biig. The stacks can be sold easily too. Mileage is ok for the price too. what year is the rig. It looks like an 89...:dunno

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
what year is the rig. It looks like an 89...:dunno

Would be '92-'94 unless he swapped front clips...

Nice looking truck, with the exception of aforementioned stacks and clearance lights.

Last edited:

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a '93. You'll notice the grille has been painted black.

It has three gauges on the pillar "oil pressure and air flow". I guess that's a sign he used it frequently for towing? I guess another sign is that it is setup for a fifth wheel.

"custom rear bumper" I wonder what that means.

Would holes left by the stacks be a concern? they should be closed up?

lol, the guy claims the "custom smoke stack kit" is worth $1000.

DragRag

Reaction score
Change to the smaller stock ford cab lights, it would look much better then those monster big rig ones. Ditch the stacks, and your good.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Tell the guy to keep the exhaust and you will give him $2200 then.LOL He took a beating if he paid a grand for that set up. Those clearance lights are definitely off of a big rig also.

The truck does look presentable, do all of the obvious stuff like check the trans fluid; should be bright red in color if an auto, no dark or burnt color. Check the coolant for anti cavitation treatment, leaky return lines, ect.

Personally, if an automatic, I would include a rebuild in my overall price unless to seller can provide paperwork indicating a rebuild. Good luck, looks like a work horse.;Sweet

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the interior.

I also found out it is a 4.10 rear and E4OD, so yeah, that could mean a rebuild. I just texted him to see if it was ever rebuilt.

edit: "I'm not sure, but it shifts very solid and has had some work done on it that I know of"

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
any idea on what all those switches and stuff are?

can't believe how lazy some people are. there is a TON of room to run the wires up the inside of that panel that the read wire is up against. easy to run it as well.

rant over lol

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the interior.

I also found out it is a 4.10 rear and E4OD, so yeah, that could mean a rebuild. I just texted him to see if it was ever rebuilt.

edit: "I'm not sure, but it shifts very solid and has had some work done on it that I know of"

you should text back and be like "hey, so maybe you could tell me what work it is that was done.....mmmmmmkay?"