I think i done burned up the starter

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New injectors. New hard lines. New batts
Still using the old ip because money's tight and these were parts in the closet waiting to go on.
(replacing injectors because I had a hodge podge mix and wanted a confirmed rebuilt set)

won't start, smoke coming from starter after cranking for 10 second on/20 second off about the 6th attempt to start.

Been searching on forum for a bit today, seen a lot of threads saying lift pump failure can cause issues after replacing injectors, I can confirm fuel is getting to the injectors.
(cracked em and saw fuel)
(also no pressure at all on Schrader valve)
(fuel filter is full to the top)

Would a no start be caused by connecting hard line to wrong injector? This is one concern I had, not 100% on my rebuild job but all the lines fit to ip/injector fairly easily so this is just a minor doubt.

Gonna go drink a beer and pray to the old diesel gods for mercy.

Wondering if the starter is dead, burnt wire smell coming from it after trying to crank.

Thanks for reading!

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure starter connections are tight a loose connections could smoke

IDIDIDIhoDhoDhoDO

Reaction score
smoke coming from starter
Have you got smoke coming out the exhaust? That's where you need it. I doubt you could get a hard line installed in the wrong place. Did you floor the accelerator while cranking. 60 seconds worth of cranking would probably be enough to fill the injector lines if you were floored but I doubt it would be if you just left the throttle closed.

You won't have any pressure at the schrader valve unless you're cranking or running, even then it's only about 4 psi. You should follow the injector lines from the pump and verify your firing order but again I really doubt you could even install those wrong. I would guess it is most likely just still air that needs to come out. Have someone verify that you've got white vapor coming out of the exhaust while you crank it with the accelerator floored.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
won't start, smoke coming from starter after cranking for 10 second on/20 second off about the 6th attempt to start.

Wondering if the starter is dead, burnt wire smell coming from it after trying to crank.

make sure starter connections are tight a loose connections could smoke
If the wires (mostly the big one from the batteries) are tight at the starter, then I would guess that your starter is done. Even though you have fuel at the injectors, the engine won't start if the starter isn't turning it over fast enough. Smoke from the starter area is usually a good sign that your starter isn't spinning fast enough. As for my first sentence, make sure that all of your battery cable connections and the battery grounds on the engine are tight enough.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have new Batteries, what cranking amps? You need group 65 batteries.

Are your batteries fully charged, Cranking on them will drain them pretty fast. They will still turn the Starter over but not fast enough which will over heat the Starter.

You can have clean ends on your cables at the battery and Starter, but how does the insulation on them look?
I replaced my Ground cable for both batteries last year when I noticed it had cracks from one end to the other.

The Cables can have corrosion inside you cannot see.

usually it isn`t the lift Pump that goes out when changing to new Injectors, it will be the Injection Pump that won`t be able to build up to the pressure the new Injectors will require.

it has always been said to replace both at the same time.
The pumps are good for 150K miles as mentioned on many threads.

All good info in all the above posts also.

Goat

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful! I started my starter on fire one time. Thankfully most everything under our hood is metal, so it wasn't bad. But it did melt a lot of the coating off the big starter wire. When you get a new one get one with planetary gear reduction, they spin like the dickens!

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I'll charge Batts, check/clean connections and try again.

This truck did take a decent amount of cranking before, so I've always been ready for that starter to go

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody has asked yet so I will--are your glowplugs working properly? And do you get any white smoke/vapor while cranking? I could be wrong here but if you're hearing an audible hiss from the Schrader valve then wouldn't that mean you still have air in the system that needs to be purged? If all the air is purged and you don't have a leak then all fuel lines before the IP should be full of fuel.

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can comment on this though: Could the bypass valve in the filter header be stuck open and sending too much fuel directly into the return lines? I don't know if the '85 filter header is different than my '92 though.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's a rule of thumb in the heavy duty world that for every 30 seconds of continuous cranking, you have to let the starter cool off for 2 minutes. Some trucks even have a digital starter lockout forcing you to let them cool.

Whenever I have air in the fuel, usually I'll jump the start solenoid with a flat head holding the Schrader open until fuel comes out, then I hold the accelerator wide open while cranking until fuel comes out of at least 6 lines.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some fuel/air intrusion and/or fuel drain back issues.

If you end up needing a new starter, I would suggest a Powermaster 9050 unit.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, still nogo

charged both batteries,
tried jumping solenoid while pushing Schrader, its too tight in there I can't get a good connect with a screwdriver.
(confirm its the solenoid behind passenger batt?)

Still nothing, thought I heard a sputter tho.
Double checked lines at IP, snug and good.

Disconnected both batteries and will clean up connections at starter (oil does leak on that side)

Hopefully tonight I can go clean those connections and try in the morning.

Having a 85 ford and a full time job and a kid sure keeps me busier than a one legged man in a ass kicking contest,whew!

Guess if I clean up connections and have a full battery it's self evident to put a new starter in

long as I make bear season it's all worth it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a 85 ford and a full time job and a kid sure keeps me busier than a one legged man in a ass kicking contest,whew!

Guess if I clean up connections and have a full battery it's self evident to put a new starter in

long as I make bear season it's all worth it.
Man, I wish that was all I had going on!

The solenoid directly behind the battery above the tire is for the glow plugs, the solenoid on the mounted on the side is the starter.

Edit: I do want to say, thank you for the updates. These unfinished mystery novels really get frustrating!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online