I really need help with a weird no start

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it entail?

Disconnecting all your injector lines (at the injectors, you might not have to take them off the pump), and then pulling out the pump. I don't know how to get at the filter then but maybe it can be done without taking the lines off the pump.
If I didn't know the story on my pump and I was going to go through all that I would replace the pump while I had it all apart.
If you suspect that your pump is still good then I would forget about this filter (for now) and pursue other causes. The fuel (normally) gets filtered pretty well before it gets to the pump. This filter is probably just for "worst case scenario" in case the other filter(s) failed some how.
The pump rebuilders could probably comment on what they usually find in these filters. I suspect they don't find much.
Based on what you've said so far I'd bet on the FSS maybe making noise but not working properly.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have you proven that fuel is getting to, and through the injection pump?
Can unscrew the return fitting out of the pump and crank engine to see if fuel is getting there.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Disconnecting all your injector lines (at the injectors, you might not have to take them off the pump), and then pulling out the pump. I don't know how to get at the filter then but maybe it can be done without taking the lines off the pump.
If I didn't know the story on my pump and I was going to go through all that I would replace the pump while I had it all apart.
If you suspect that your pump is still good then I would forget about this filter (for now) and pursue other causes. The fuel (normally) gets filtered pretty well before it gets to the pump. This filter is probably just for "worst case scenario" in case the other filter(s) failed some how.
The pump rebuilders could probably comment on what they usually find in these filters. I suspect they don't find much.
I'm hoping to avoid removing the pump as i don't have the tools or the trained ear to time it. I'm also suspecting that the pump IS the problem. Because I'm getting fuel to the IP, i have clear hoses to and from the lift pump, no air. The truck ran alright when i got it 2 months ago. Ever since it has slowly been getting harder and harder to start, and running worse and worse. The last time i drove it it didn't make enough power to go over 30. On my way back from that trip it wouldn't go over 15. And here i am now, it won't start at all. Does this sound like a classic sign of a bad IP? If it means anything, I've never had any problems with hot starts. It always started beautifully hot if i could get it running in the first place.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know my pump was weak until I started having problems with hot starts (and pouring water on it helped get it to start). And it was still running fine and making decent power then once running.
I'd check your FSS beyond just listening for the click.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
Take off the feed line and that next piece has two flats on it . It may stick out past needing to remove any lines . It unscrews and the filter and a few parts come out as pictured . Dont go any further ! goes back the way it comes apart .

Attachments

• thumbnail_pics 021.jpg
    thumbnail_pics 021.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 13

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
I didn't know my pump was weak until I started having problems with hot starts (and pouring water on it helped get it to start). And it was still running fine and making decent power then once running.
Like maybe taking the cap off and checking the terminal? If so is there anything to know prior to taking it off?

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Take off the feed line and that next piece has two flats on it . It may stick out past needing to remove any lines . It unscrews and the filter and a few parts come out as pictured . Dont go any further ! goes back the way it comes apart .
Awesome thank you for the picture!

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Here's the flow out of the return line off the IP. I'm not sure how much flow it should be pumping but id guess that seems about right with the engine not running. I've confirmed that connecting and disconnecting the FSS does cut off fuel, and opens back up when reconnected. Currently trying to come up with the balls to take the cone off the IP

Black dawg

Reaction score
So if there is fuel coming out there, there is enough fuel to make it run. Have you loosened up lines at injectors and cranked? Have you tried to start it with that return line off?

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
So if there is fuel coming out there, there is enough fuel to make it run. Have you loosened up lines at injectors and cranked? Have you tried to start it with that return line off?
Yes i have tried bleeding the injectors, I'll try starting it with the return line off next

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
And did you have a fuel pulse at the injector?
Not sure what i changed, maybe just from cleaning everything out trying to find the problem, i did get a pulse. Before i wasn't getting anything, now I'm getting what i think is right. I took the line completely off the injector to monitor and i got little drops while cranking. Still won't start but it's cranking slow from all of the diag and bleeding. So I'm hoping now all that's stopping me is not enough voltage to the starter but we'll see. And just for fun i took the glow plugs out to see if they'd come out (without breaking) in the near future for a compression test if needed. They looked damn near brand new and are berus, and the wiring is all in good shape and getting power to each plug. So at least i have that peace of mind. I'll post here when i can get a buddy down to jump it while i try to start it in the next few days

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
And did you have a fuel pulse at the injector?
A month later I finally gave it a go and nothing. It smoked a little bit, telling me it's at least getting some fuel. Doesn't even try to start. Both batteries and fully charged and i left the charger on while trying to start, cranked very fast. At this point I'm considering just throwing in the towel. I'm worried it's low compression due to its previous life as an ether addict.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the glow plug system work? Was the block heater plugged in?

James