I really need help with a weird no start

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
I have seen a couple act similar to this. One was a collapsing fuel line before the pump, the other was a restricted/blocked return back to the tank. Was caused by tank valve.
That's what i was hoping the problem was. I ran a new line straight from a fuel jug to the filter head and I'm still not getting any fuel pressure on my fuel gauge. Just for fun i put in a new pump, but still nothing. Could this be caused by a blockage or leak (none visible) after the filter head?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rubber fuel line may appear to be ok, but upon pressure from the pump it may collapse, though you cant see it from the engine compartmenmt. Another may be a kink somewhere in the fuel line.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
A rubber fuel line may appear to be ok, but upon pressure from the pump it may collapse, though you cant see it from the engine compartmenmt. Another may be a kink somewhere in the fuel line.
I've run into this before so temporarily used a clear hose from a jug to the lift pump to rule out and air any air bubbles

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not sure why I am having such a hard time understanding what you have done. You have put fuel line from fuel can to lift pump, and have no pressure at the filter head?

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Not sure why I am having such a hard time understanding what you have done. You have put fuel line from fuel can to lift pump, and have no pressure at the filter head?
Correct, i don't see where i could possibly be losing that much pressure so I'm questioning whether the pressure gauge i loaned is bad. Regardless of a pressure reading, I'm getting noticeably less pressure/ flow, then when i first got it.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Higher transfer pressure in the pump minimizes and raises your hydraulic advance curve aka won’t cause your symptoms. Fuel starvation - yes clogs or blockages - yes. I’ve tried a pump up to 15psi and 13 degrees of timing and it’s jumpy but not your symptoms.

You’re going to want to validate all the basics. Fueling, pressure, timing. Then from their question the state of injectors and pump.
I cleaned out of all the lines between the lift pump and the IP. I took apart the fuel filter housing and found some crap in there. Not too sure what this was. I did notice the fuel pressure went up, but now my lift pump is (i think) is trying to tell me something is wrong, but I don't know what it is. When i bleed the Schrader, it gets nice and quiet like it used to all the time when it was running good. In my head it would make sense that the pump is being loud because it's trying to push fuel, but it can't, maybe a blockage. And when i bleed it the pump gets happy it can push fuel and quiets down. Does my thinking sound on track? If it is a blockage I'm thinking at this point it has to be inside the IP, as I've covered everything else. I know those Holley pumps are trash for IDI's, but it came with the truck and it worked great even in the engine bay. I planned to keep it until it died on me, could this also be a bad pump though? The fact that it quiets down when i bleed it tells me that the pump itself is okay, but then again I wouldn't be posting here if i knew *** i was talking about lol. Thank you

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that your thinking is close, but not quite right. That's assuming that you have the fuel system put back together. There would be a blockage when the whole system's together. You won't be able to push fuel through your injector pump. That would be your blockage That would also make the electric pump make more noise. When you press the Schrader valve on the filter head, you're releasing some of the pressure so the electric pump gets quieter until the pressure is built back up which should only take a few seconds.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
I believe that your thinking is close, but not quite right. That's assuming that you have the fuel system put back together. There would be a blockage when the whole system's together. You won't be able to push fuel through your injector pump. That would be your blockage That would also make the electric pump make more noise. When you press the Schrader valve on the filter head, you're releasing some of the pressure so the electric pump gets quieter until the pressure is built back up which should only take a few seconds.
Interesting, thank you. The fuel system is completely put back together. I'll keep doing some searching. My problem is that it seemingly is getting no fuel at all. No smoke, no smell, no attempt to fire. Next up I'll make sure I'm getting fuel into the IP, out the IP return, and I'll check for fuel out of the injector lines, expecting none. Hypothetically speaking, if i was getting fuel into the IP inlet, and out the return, but none to the injectors, should my next step be to take the top cap off the IP? The FSS is getting power and clicks but maybe it's just teasing me? If so/ if not, is there anything else you might look for?

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
How about the cone filter at the injection pump feed ?
I didn't know there was one in there.
It would be a pain to check but it is something else to put on the list of possibilities.
I also didn't know about that. Is there anything i should know when taking it apart? I'm worried I'll screw it up somehow, considering the IP is seemingly the most expensive part on the whole damn truck. What does it entail?