New return lines and o rings
All new fuel lines
New sending units and showerheads
Electric lift pump
New fuel filter
Getting power to FSS and cold advance
Getting fuel out of injector lines
Glow plugs working and are getting power
I really don't know what to do from here and I'm practically begging for help at this point
Thank you

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. It starts great. I can't imagine why it wouldn't stay running. Very frustrating, I'm sure.
Maybe the vibration is affecting a bad ground wire mount and causing the FSS to close? I'm grasping at straws.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Dang. It starts great. I can't imagine why it wouldn't stay running. Very frustrating, I'm sure.
Maybe the vibration is affecting a bad ground wire mount and causing the FSS to close? I'm grasping at straws.
Thank you that's a good idea, I'll find a helper tomorrow to check. It's really weird to me because like you said, it does start great. It was about 20°f out, no block heater, started right up. Thanks again!

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it rev up at all after it starts? It’s not super good for it to get revved up right after it starts, but if it will eun at higher rpms then it couldnt be the FSS.

I was having trouble with the FSS on my 86. I took it off and it would work fine, put it back on the pump and was having trouble. Turns out it was not getting grounded through the casing like it was supposed to. Tightening up the negative post on the FSS fixed it. Maybe look over your wiring for the FSS and make sure all is well, as it seems to be running for a little bit…

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Will it rev up at all after it starts? It’s not super good for it to get revved up right after it starts, but if it will eun at higher rpms then it couldnt be the FSS.

I was having trouble with the FSS on my 86. I took it off and it would work fine, put it back on the pump and was having trouble. Turns out it was not getting grounded through the casing like it was supposed to. Tightening up the negative post on the FSS fixed it. Maybe look over your wiring for the FSS and make sure all is well, as it seems to be running for a little bit...
So i actually ended up getting it to start earlier. Not sure why, because it was even colder. But i took it for a drive, and i had absolutely zero balls, anything over 1/4 throttle it would bog, puff light gray smoke, and slow down, wouldn't do over 30. As i was was heading back, it got even worse. Now over 1/8th throttle it would bog and actually start to die. I got halfway up a steep hill and it just stopped, the engine didn't die, it just didn't make enough power to go up the rest of the hill. I shut it off for a couple minutes, it started right back up and crawled up the rest of the hill. I'm thinking maybe it needs injectors or the timing is way off. It seems like when people have IP problems, it won't start when it's hot. So I'm hoping it's not that. I replaced one injector, its copper washer was leaking, but the injector broke on the way out. So I can't really get the injectors tested if they're just gonna break. But i might send it to a shop so they can check the timing.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What PSI is that electronic fuel pump putting out? Anything over like 8-9psi changes the timing of the IP

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score

I was having trouble with the FSS on my 86. I took it off and it would work fine, put it back on the pump and was having trouble. Turns out it was not getting grounded through the casing like it was supposed to. Tightening up the negative post on the FSS fixed it. Maybe look over your wiring for the FSS and make sure all is well, as it seems to be running for a little bit…
Thank you that's a good idea, I'll find a helper tomorrow to check. It's really weird to me because like you said, it does start great. It was about 20°f out, no block heater, started right up. Thanks again!
What PSI is that electronic fuel pump putting out? Anything over like 8-9psi changes the timing of the IP
I plan on checking when it's not too cold to feel my fingers lol. I believe the pump is only rated for 7psi, however the pump was on the truck when i bought it. I'm started to question if the pressure is actually too low, earlier i noticed the stream i get from the Schrader valve has slowed down a bit. Still a solid stream with no air, but a little less, i think. I did however notice that when i disconnect the hard feed line off the filter head to the injection pump, there seems to be quite a bit more flow. I'm wondering if maybe there's a blockage somewhere between the filter head and the injectors.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on checking when it's not too cold to feel my fingers lol. I believe the pump is only rated for 7psi, however the pump was on the truck when i bought it. I'm started to question if the pressure is actually too low, earlier i noticed the stream i get from the Schrader valve has slowed down a bit. Still a solid stream with no air, but a little less, i think. I did however notice that when i disconnect the hard feed line off the filter head to the injection pump, there seems to be quite a bit more flow. I'm wondering if maybe there's a blockage somewhere between the filter head and the injectors.
Higher transfer pressure in the pump minimizes and raises your hydraulic advance curve aka won’t cause your symptoms. Fuel starvation - yes clogs or blockages - yes. I’ve tried a pump up to 15psi and 13 degrees of timing and it’s jumpy but not your symptoms.

You’re going to want to validate all the basics. Fueling, pressure, timing. Then from their question the state of injectors and pump.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Higher transfer pressure in the pump minimizes and raises your hydraulic advance curve aka won’t cause your symptoms. Fuel starvation - yes clogs or blockages - yes. I’ve tried a pump up to 15psi and 13 degrees of timing and it’s jumpy but not your symptoms.

You’re going to want to validate all the basics. Fueling, pressure, timing. Then from their question the state of injectors and pump.
Is there anywhere in particulate you've seen common blockages? All of the feed lines are new and l can blow air all the way through them. The filter is clean and I'm getting pressure out of the filter head. Is there any way to test if the IP itself is blocked up?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere in particulate you've seen common blockages? All of the feed lines are new and l can blow air all the way through them. The filter is clean and I'm getting pressure out of the filter head. Is there any way to test if the IP itself is blocked up?
Not that I can think of with the IP. Your video sounds a lot like a fuel issue. When you open up a fuel system and are bleeding the air out or you forget to turn the electric pump on it sounds just like that. Acknowledging this is just guessing over the internet but that’s my feedback.

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Not that I can think of with the IP. Your video sounds a lot like a fuel issue. When you open up a fuel system and are bleeding the air out or you forget to turn the electric pump on it sounds just like that. Acknowledging this is just guessing over the internet but that’s my feedback.
Forgetting to turn the lift pump on is actually something i was worried about, buy i have it wired to key on power. It was on so i think I'm just gonna start disconnecting hoses and lines until i hopefully find something. I can only imagine it could be a fuel issue. It has very little blowby, clean oil, a full radiator, doesn't burn oil or coolant, so i don't suspect compression. The air filter is clean and runs the same with a quick test run with the air cleaner off. Ill keep searching. Thanks for the responses!

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this thread

Also, maybe consider running straight from IP feed line or filter head to a clean container with clean diesel to bypass pump, I believe the IP can pull enough fuel by itself to idle

JohnLeePettimore

Reaction score
Check this thread

Also, maybe consider running straight from IP feed line or filter head to a clean container with clean diesel to bypass pump, I believe the IP can pull enough fuel by itself to idle
I have tried running the line straight into a clean jug but it made no difference. This is why if it is a blockage, i think it's in the IP or after. And I'll read that thread. Thank you!