i messed up on my leaf springs

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i am currently getting all my goodies, parts, ready for my reverse shcackle kit instalation and dana 60 swap into my truck. everything is going good. got everything i need for gear change and rebuilding the axel, but.... the leaf springs i scored out of the junkyard was not a score at all. first i though they were the same because the both came out of sd f350 with dana 60's and 7.3 psd. i got the driver side from one truck, and passanger side from another. i think they were both and 02 or 03 model year. anyways, they are the same length, eye to eye, same thickness at the center of spring, same width, 3". over all the arches look the same when held up assybled together. now the fun part.

the wrap or the military wrap that goes around the end of the spring eye of the two sets are different! one wrap is about 3" width, but the other is only about 2.5"! both go compleetly around, just one is not the same width of the other.

the inner part of the two stack super duty springs, do not match up. here is the bad part. towards the end of the spring at the eye. one spring has a straight curve down slope to eye. the other spring has a lip or turn where the curvature of the spring has a nice donward slopping arch like the other, and just before it reaches the eye it has a sharp bend. on both ends. if this makes sense.

i will try to get some pics up, but a having a feeling i am screwed!!! i need to get this axel in now. i do not know the axel codes of the springs, but there is some part numbers off the springs themselves. somehwere i heard this does not tell the spring code or rate.

now that i have disassymbled for paint i think i am going to take the two pairs and swap the top leaf with one from another. that way i have a part of a leaf spring set from the two version on both side of the truck. i am need of some guys please and thank you.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you did was probably grabbed 1 spring from a plain sd and the other from a heavier truck ie: plow prep package or something like that.you really want a matched set as you know.

Why didn't you pull a set from one truck? When using used springs they should come from the same as they will be sagged, flexed, worked the same.2 different springs and youll end up with one corner lower than the other, harder/softer ride on one side as they wont be sagged, flexed or worked at the same rate.

If you need the truck and the springs measure the same, run them till you have the time and money to replace them.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there were only one on each truck. they were missing a set from each truck, but i think i ask going to try it, and wait ttyl i find a good set

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to change them?....mine are getting pretty tired

Does the whole front end have to be dropped to change them?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to change them?....mine are getting pretty tired

Does the whole front end have to be dropped to change them?

Not hard at all as long as the bolts aren't rusted into the spring bushings.just had one that I had to drill out.if the bolts turn it should only take about 1/2 hour a side.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya id assume mine are rusted (friggin rustbelt:mad:). From what I can see they just have one bolt in front one on back then theres that ubolt on the diff......did you have to jack up the front of the truck to support the weight when you were removing?