I have some turbo Issues on my new Install

Reaction score
I just got my ATS factory turbo installed.

As far as I know, my truck was stock before. I turned up the fuel screw 3.5 flats, as 4 felt maxed out to me.

I can only get around 5 psi max, and 950 on the pryo and I cant see any black smoke at all!

anyone have any ideas? you turn the screw IN correct? that is what I did, thanks

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
In is correct. Have you checked for leaks in both the exhaust and intake? How is the timing, have you had it checked? Any idea on the condition of the turbo?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Turn in the screw found under the triangle plate but... How old are you injectors and pump. Anything approaching 100,000 miles is going to be well worn out. What is the timing set at. Is the turbo wastegated...

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The truck has 66k miles, and always runs great. it looks as though the IP was never touched before I got it.

no leaks as far as I can see, i found my boost gauge is junk, and i was able to hit 10 psi max.

Still no smoke at all!!!! it even smoked decent at wot N/A.

How much should I be able to turn the fuel screw past stock? Like I said, i only was able to get 4 turns untill it felt as far as it would go. Egts around 950 max.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
dont forget that years and not only miles will put wear on the pump. over the years the thing could have become gummed up from old fuel resting in there have you ran any heavy doses of your favorite fuel treatment? I know that my truck only had around 70-80,000 and my injectors were toast. and if the turbo is the factory setup then it should be wastegated so you might try to adjust that to get more boost. 950 empty is going to get hot real quick when loaded though.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Is there a real average of flats to crank up the pump? Two flats on mine and it was leaving a good cloud of black behind under WoT. Max 800*F unloaded. No boost yet as I still have a leak somewhere to my gauge...

Reaction score
Thanks! I have been running cleaner through it.

What just strikes me as wierd is that I am getting NO smoke.....and as far as I can tell I am maxed out...

just want to verify i turned the screw the correct way....You turn it IN correct? I felt it bottom and then backed it off a half turn.

The truck definatly feels much faster, and the turbo is loud.....so i guess i shouldent complain, just strikes me as wierd it smokes less now then when it was N/A

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
does seem wierd that you cant get any smoke but that was my point about the years not miles. In(clockwise) is the correct way for turning it up.

You cant see any smoke even if you bog it down? or just no smoke at wot? My na idi will smoke like a freight train if i bog it but i cant really see any smoke if i give her some rpms before i shift and im about 3 flats up. I know i prob need a new ip but i have no way to time it once i get it on and no funds to purchase one. she runs good and thats what counts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
By turning in thr fuel adjusting screw found under the triangle plate what you want to do is turn it towards the front of the truck. Righty tighty... Lefty loosey.... Hope this clears up the direction.

Black dawg

Reaction score
does that pump have a torque screw? If so, you need to back it out. How far did you back the fuel screw out from max? It hurts nothing being bottomed.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Max the fuel screw out, and unplug the wastegate and plug the ilne, i have a stock factory turbo on mine and i easily see 15psi under WOT at 2500 rpm with nothing but me in the truck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bottoming out the fuel scew can hydrolock the injection pump. The plunger actually hits the bottom of the bore. Then things break... Others will be along to confirm this.....:D

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put 10,000lbs. behind it then report your #'s. A little cab 5 speed with no weight your not making the engine work to make heat and to build boost.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Max the fuel screw out, and unplug the wastegate and plug the ilne, i have a stock factory turbo on mine and i easily see 15psi under WOT at 2500 rpm with nothing but me in the truck

Wastegates are crap!

Reaction score
thanks again. I was thinking I read somewhere not to completely bottom the fuel screw.
I added a external spring to the wastegate to make sure it stayed closed, but today I will try unplugging and blocking the line to it.

Tell me about this torque screw? where is it, and what exactly would it do?

as far as I know, its the origional 94' N/A IP

also, I agree that maby its just not loading the engine enough?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online