hybrid build idi dump truck

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After watching and following all the other great build threads, I thought it was time to throw in my own.

A little back ground, a few years ago I got deal on 1988 f350 4x4 c&c truck with a like new Cyrsteel 10' dump body. It sports a rebuilt 460 efi and fresh e4od. Cab had been swapped, and was poorly done. All for the bargin price of 2K.;Sweet I drove the thing a total of 30 miles, and by the time I got where I was going, the trans was hot enought to cook on:mad: So after looking at it and not being able to use it, I started looking for a donor to provide a zf5 and cab to work on the 460.

Then this fall, a kid wanted to trade his 1992 f250 4x4 7.3 idi zf5 pickup for a bronco i had. Figured it ran well, started great in the cold and had loads of fresh parts thrown at it, how could I go wrong. It had some rust but I figured it was useable.

So i proceed to start the tear down.
You must be registered for see images attach

and theres the rust on the core support, and the front left fender was totally worthless

frame on the dump, where ford laminated plates to the top and bottom so the scale grew between

this is just a small portion of it too:puke:

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then its frame repair time:puke:

used parts of the 250 frame

and new plates

and address a leaking oil cooler and pan

kinda brittle

And to all you fellows that do oil pans and coolers in the truck:hail no way that could be any fun!

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then theres the problem of rusty body parts, as most here know, no core supports are avaliable so off to the local u-pull to see how much rust I could find. Well just as expected there werent any that were diesel, and the ones there were rusty anyhow:mad: As I getting ready to leave the manager of the u-pull says they have a complete 93 diesel theyd sell for $1500, and i was expecting a rusted out 2wd f250, but look what he had for me!

f-Superduty? oh ya, but theres more

is that a factory turbo idi in there, hooked to a zf5 Yes it is!! and look here

hope its still a true turbo engine still, did Jasper really keep them seperate?
look at all the parts rust free too!!
core support

hydroboost

line lock

spare tools under the seat

plus the fender i needed and steering column that was loose on the 250, brand new shocks I think i can make work and some small stuff

Last edited:

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so as it sits now,

frame is all patched, hope its good enough. have to order a brakeline set, side mount fuel tank off a med duty, and some grill parts seems both the 250 and fsd had broken header panels and junk headlights

fyi theres spare parts that will be for sale, PM if you need something:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What rod did you use to weld with. How many pass's did you do. Honestly that weld repair looks weak to me. To answer if the engine is truely a turbo block look at the main oil galley plugs. If they are 1/4 inch then the block is a turbo block. Now that does not mean Jaspers installed the turbo rods that have the 33mm pins compared to the non turbo 28mm pins. Did the oil pan have a gasket from Jaspers. If so I hope you didn't install another gasket. Only a good quality RTV was used from the factory and thats what everyone has found to work the best. That fact has been proven many times here. I have no idea why a gasket maker includes this oil pan gasket in a kit when the oem never had one. But lots of gasket kits come with several other gaskets that we don't use all the time. Its cheaper to include the van oil cooler gaskets along with the truck oil cooler gaskets then it is to stock 2 different kits on the shelf. Inventory is reduced by adding a 3 cent gasket compared to having a $100.00 kit on the shelf.

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7018 5-32 i think, the old farmers shop im using set everything, and i made several passes on all of it and verifed penetration. The one rail was pretty ugly, the other not quite as bad. Im deffinently keeping eye on it when gets back to work. Its not going to be a dd but sure dont want any problems. Ill look for those plugs, I thought there was something to id them. I used hylamar sealant, no gasket for me. Got Ford orings and gaskets for the oil cooler. The Jasper is getting pulled and shelved for now. The n/a idi is going in the dump, no need to "waste" a turbo on it. lol

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those little f350 4x4 dump trucks are the most handy thing they ever invented. Ever try to buy one in half decent shape? You will find by the prices everyone else realizes how useful they are also.

You will probably be ok, but next time try to avoid "closing in" your re-inforcement patch by welding all the way around. Weld on the long sides, leave the little short ends open. For the side patch, weld the horizontal length, don't weld in the vertical sides. As you are welding, the frame and the patch "grow". When you stop, they cool and shrink back. The frame and the patch don't mind "growing" and shrinking near the narrow edges top and bottom, but after you are done with them and go to weld the ends the frame doesn't like to grow in that direction, especially now that you have welded the patch on the other sides. Since it can't really expand like it wants to it puts a lot of stress on the weld, and it can crack later on.

If you have a problem with your patch cracking later, that's the problem.

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I used the thing this summer to trim some trees around the farm, super handy to just load then dump, no pulling and poking to unload. Even with a sticking throttle and a barley useable trans! Thanks for the insight, that makes perfect sense about the welding, the old man that showed me is a weld more is better type of guy, so that was his recommendation. The price of nice ones is exactly why I'm trying to build one. It may not end up cheaper, but this way is easier to sneak past the wife

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the n/a is going into the dump truck, the turbo might be saved for a 79 supercab project I've got planned, granted its been in the works for 10 years. I read it again, it sounds like I'm throwing it out, but that will never happen

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Must have read it wrong.... Post said " going in the dump" not to it lol. My bad, should probably pay more attention to what I read

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alittle progress today, I've robbed every last thing I could think of off the fsd. this truck is so clean rust wise I unscrewed the brake lines from the hoses. since the wheelbase is the same, I think they work better than that cheap crap from napa that seems to rot out in no time. What's odd too is the fsd doesn't have a proportioning valve, just a t in the front line and a weird fitting that hooks the master to the rear line

Installed the shocks, swapped the pump reservoir and ps line for the hydroboost. The shocks were off the fsd which I swapped front to rear

Swung the tcase in, measured for driveshaft which turned out to be 5.5" shorter setup than the e4od, and started brake lines

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone probably bypassed the rear ABS. That's why you don't see a proportioning valve in the system. I did the same thing to mine, it has a plain line running down from the master and couples together where the abs valve used to be. You may even see the old ABS sitting on the frame on the driver's side.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the superduty trucks do not have the RABS system. Maybe I am wrong though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online