How Unbearably loud would this be?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
You guys that are saying any combination is too loud...........................ARE SHOWING YOUR AGE!LOL

I say let her rip....roll the windows up to get a break if you need one......and if you get pulled over just tell the officer it has a HARLEY engine and he wont bother you!

My dad's truck 95'PSD =straight piped
My truck 94 IDI factory turbo =straight piped
My other truck 86 IDI NA = straight piped
All of them sound good to me and none of them are TOO loud!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You guys that are saying any combination is too loud...........................ARE SHOWING YOUR AGE!LOL

I say let her rip....roll the windows up to get a break if you need one......and if you get pulled over just tell the officer it has a HARLEY engine and he wont bother you!

My dad's truck 95'PSD =straight piped
My truck 94 IDI factory turbo =straight piped
My other truck 86 IDI NA = straight piped
All of them sound good to me and none of them are TOO loud!

But you are not using them for a business, correct? Offending the neighbors is one thing, ******* off a customer, well, that don't bode well for business. Rebels are fine, and I even support some rebellous causes, but loud exhaust on a business vehicle is not rebellious, it could be financial suicide. My truck aint quite, but it doesn't sound like someone lighting a string of m80's in a trash can either.

I guess I am looking at being professional.

Even then, be it old or whatever, my truck will make some noise, but sounds good doing it. I have not heard a NA truck with straight exhaust that I would say "darn that thing sounds good!".

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
SLE, I was just poking at the "old geezers"...........seriously though a lot of the noise depends on the position of the pedal and can be controlled very well

I agree that the fun is lost in a business vehicle, staight pipes most generally apply to show/personal daily drivers, and of course some big truck drivers with good taste;Really :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat, how loud are your wreckers? I would venture to say not open piped, NA loud.
sle-
you're right. they aren't open piped. But they do have a straight thru three chamber mufflers. Not noisy one bit but definitely a "distinctive" note. Only my CC dually has straight pipe but its not a "work" truck either:D

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straights into stacks on a commercial truck, even turboed, may be offensive to some customers. And, probably not good for your drivers hearing either.
As for what turboed/straight piped sounds like, well, it still sounds more like a gasser than a PSD, but, there is enough turbo whistle in there to make the distinction....
Unfortunatley, my camera doesn't pick up the turbo whistle very well, but, here goes:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/82f100swb/?action=view&current=61055118.pbr

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I won't dispute that. I used to like loud exhaust all the time. Straight pipes on V-twins, dual glass packs on v-8s, I even ran a small-block Chevy for a summer with headers and no mufflers, piped out the back(straight out the headers was only for a few hours while on the street).

Now it just gets on my nerves unless it's at a track. I now strive to not attract attention to myself vs the other way around, which we tend to do when we are younger.</implied youthful narcissism>

Yes, this need often(but not always) fades with age.

Ken

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
sle-
you're right. they aren't open piped. But they do have a straight thru three chamber mufflers. Not noisy one bit but definitely a "distinctive" note. Only my CC dually has straight pipe but its not a "work" truck either:D

That is exactly what I have on my truck and love it. You can make it "talk" but you can also go about your business pretty quietly as well!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
SLE, I was just poking at the "old geezers"...........seriously though a lot of the noise depends on the position of the pedal and can be controlled very well

I agree that the fun is lost in a business vehicle, staight pipes most generally apply to show/personal daily drivers, and of course some big truck drivers with good taste;Really :D

I figured you were, but these days, I think I probably fit the old geezer category more than not! :(

I still like to make noise and such though. Not to mention going fast, etc., so I still aint dead!!! :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this with the Moosestang when I first built it. Dual side pipes with no muffler. Sounded great at idle, and on up to about 1600RPM. After that, I felt like the truck had a big flashing light on the roof and a neon sign that said "Call the cops on this person, right now!". :eek: I was embarrassing to say the least, and defening for sure. There is no stereo made that would drown it out.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Did this with the Moosestang when I first built it. Dual side pipes with no muffler. Sounded great at idle, and on up to about 1600RPM. After that, I felt like the truck had a big flashing light on the roof and a neon sign that said "Call the cops on this person, right now!". :eek: I was embarrassing to say the least, and defening for sure. There is no stereo made that would drown it out.

:rotflmao Mel, always so detailed.

Also, I'm not old but I sure don't like My head and ears vibrating at the compass of the pedal, specially for long hauls, nothing better for the mind than a noise free cab, it helps (Me at least) concentrate better on driving.

I drive with full loaded trucks all the time, and was behind this guy with a noisy truck and obviously He could not take it bc he's windows here all UP, he was about to loose a 32f lather against incoming traffic and could not hear Me bc.....:rolleyes: I had to start flashing from behind to make Him stop. He was grateful that I saved him the bad moment, it **** Me about 5 min's to get his attention.