How Unbearably loud would this be?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
True dual exhaust, strait pipes into stacks?
Would it have a good diesel sound, or would it sound like a big block w/ open manifolds?
I know it'll never sound as good as my beloved Cummins, but I would like it to turn a few heads, in a good way, and not blow out the driver's ear drums.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'd drive you nuts I think. You'll at least need a good straight through muffler, and I'd split the exhaust after the y-pipe- it'll help even out the sound and make it sound a little more like a real diesel rather than a big-block gasser...

Ryan

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I can't take driving even 100 miles with this engine w/o muffler, for a few minutes for show it is ok but when You really need to use it, it gets old I think. I have the stacks (5") on My truck and I like it with a muffler, maybe a better one in the future but muffler non the less.

My 2c.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think a work truck deserves that kind of attention. It would be VERY loud. I drove mine with just the y-pipe on it and it was all but unberable. VERY load, running at speed over 30 would probably cause mental instability if for more than a minute or two, hence my first statement. The drone would just not be something professional for a business type of vehicle IMHO.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add this, for anyone that it may apply to.

I drove my old 6.9, with a turbo, dual stacks, and NO MUFFLERs, for twenty years.

It was no louder than any other diesel I have driven.

:dunno I have no idea how one would sound with no turbo.:dunno

I just put this here, because someone is gonna ask, next, how loud a turboed straight-pipe is gonna be.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a turbo, the bark is muted.
Naturally aspirated, you are going to get a noise ticket by DOT if you're running commercially.
On my '92, I have it turbo'd with a straight 3.5" pipe. IF and only when I behave myself, all you hear is the turbo. Those who know me....well...let's just say I can be heard a few blocks away when I am pouring on the coals. Below 2k RPM...very quiet....above 2K RPM...there's nothing quiet about the truck :D

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
the turbo chops up the sound quite a bit - heck just about like a muffler if not better. I ran The E with no muffler from Virginy to Home one night when the muffler rusted off (no turbo) at midnight - trust me it was a very long drive - she was straight piped essentially at that point.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put this here, because someone is gonna ask, next, how loud a turboed straight-pipe is gonna be.

Turbo & straight pipe sounds great on the PSD and I imagine the sound is very similar on the IDI with comparable sized pipes.

The turbo chops up the sound really well and has a nice deep tone like a good set of turbo mufflers and only barks really loud when you really stand on it. Love the whistle from the turbo too:love:

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I cut the muffler off of old brown and spliced in a straight piece.

It is as rank and loud as you can imagine.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I will add this, for anyone that it may apply to.

I drove my old 6.9, with a turbo, dual stacks, and NO MUFFLERs, for twenty years.

It was no louder than any other diesel I have driven.

:dunno I have no idea how one would sound with no turbo.:dunno

That would make a huge difference. Naturally aspirated, with open exhaust, I don't think these things sound near as good as my big block Chevy, you guys have been listening to a sick *** big block!!! :)

At any rate, a professional rig would offend some people making that much noise. I know if you showed up at my place to haul something for me in a rig that loud, I would send you away empty and look for someone that maintained their rig well enough to have an exhaust. There is no explaining in a first impression, even if it sounds exactly like you want, your potential customers will have a different opinion, but then again, that is just my opinion. Towcat, how loud are your wreckers? I would venture to say not open piped, NA loud.