How to tighten the lines on the back of the pump?

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has about 40,000 on this pump and I'm getting some leaking from one, or more of the lines from the back of the pump. I'm leaving little puddles in the parking spots at work. I keep moving to different places around the garage so it doesn't look too bad. I can tighten the upper three, maybe four but she was hot and couldn't try the lower ones easily. It looks like the pump may almost has to come off to get them tightened up. Is there a special tool or trick to getting to the lower ones? Just trying to find that path of least resistance. If the engine were cool I may have had more patience with it but it was a warm day. Hoping there is an easy way out.
Thanks, Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS

pafixitman

Reaction score
Doug,
I think there is a tool, but I used a crow's foot, extension and a stubby ratchet handle. I removed and re-installed #8 (6 o clock position) while the pump was on the truck. The little heads learned a few new words that day. -cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe's got it Doug. A 5/8" crows foot is your best friend.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It may be easier to just remove the top lines to get to the lower lines. Don't remove the upmp or you will need to have it timed. Other than that maybe the stubby and the crows foot will work. Are all and I do mean all of the 4 line vibration dampners in place and in good condition? If nut replace them now before a line breaks and you have fuel all over the place at VERY high pressure. I left off a dampner and broke a line. What a mess and costs plenty if done by the stealership. -cuss

Joe Mc

Reaction score
The best thing to use is a flare-nut crowsfoot with a small extension connected to a small breaker bar. You can tighten them all up. I find that I use the flare-nut crowsfeet more than I do the regular crowsfeet.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crows foot worked great. It is a snug fit and threading things around was a challange but it worked. I need to invest in a set of the flare-nut style, I can see how that would work even better. You would know that you are wrapped around the nut and not just barely hanging on the flats. Thanks to all, another happy ending. Talk to you soon, Doug

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I love tools, I'm not sure a SET of flare nut crows feet would be worth the money, compared with the proper OTC tool for the job. Dunno. Still, you could get BOTH. :love:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I use the crows foot/stubby combo that the others have mentioned. A few cuss words usually happen, but in the end they all get tightend. Check fleabay periodically under Rotunda. They made a kit with some specific IDI tools...don't remember the kit number. One of the tools in the kit is a half circle looking 5/8" wrench for tightening the fuel lines. I've never used one and have always been outbid when trying to get one, but seems like it would be very useful.

Tom

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've got both the Line Nut tool, and Crow's Foot Line Wrenches. IMO the Crows Foot works better on the bottom line. The Rotunda tool works great on the rest. With the added benefit of being able to use a torque wrench on the inj nuts. Without the need to figure out the torque loss that the offset Crows Foot adds

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I picked up a 12 pt flare nut crows foot from snap-on that works very nice. They hit me about $20 for that puppy.

-----------Robert

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
You meant this one Tom?

Nope. That's not it. That's a kit for a 2004. The kit I'm refering to is T84-something. It has the wrench we are talking about, an IP rotaiting tool, injector seat cleaner, fuel filter wrench adapter, and a few other odds and ends. Rotunda doesn't do a very good job of identifying what the TKIT is for, however, just from studying the different offerings, it seems that the older ones for trucks start with a T (for truck?) and the first number is the year it was introduced. I believe all the newer ones start with TKIT so there's no way to tell if it is for trucks or cars. I have tried to find a listing somewhere that gives all the kit numbers and their application, but have had no luck. Anyone know where to get that info?

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OTC seems to make a lot of Rotunda like tools. Makes me wonder if they bought their out of date stock or something. THIS is the "correct" tool for the job.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Agnem said:
OTC seems to make a lot of Rotunda like tools. Makes me wonder if they bought their out of date stock or something. THIS is the "correct" tool for the job.

I need one of those! I believe the banana shaped wrench I was thinking of is for the IP mount bolts. That bottom one is another PIA.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle