How to buy BB Codes

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been said but searching for it yields too many results.

First of all why are BB's so great?

And second, if I am going to a fleet supply house and I am going to have them order me a set what year/make/model do I tell them?

Or is there a PN?

thx

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You just pay no attension to the silly year-make and model they ask you. A set if idi BB code injectors fit any idi head from 1983 to 1994. All they need to know is the engine name....Indirect injected diesel is what you have.... Do not let them sell you direct injected diesel injectors. those are the psd kind and will not fit our engines. Why do the BB codes work better than all the other grades.... Its just how they are designed. The turbo G codes are the worst for mileage and hp. They were designed for smog problems. I have used them and they will not run as good a BB run.

Last edited:

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea I dont care what they say, its just they go by yr,mk,mo OR engine ser #. They are a international dealer.

I guess what I am really asking is what yr,mk,mo did they come factory on so I can make sure I get them to order the right thing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your international counter idiots sound just like the ones I have to talk to. All they need to know is you want a set of new BB dodes for any idi engine. Like I said before. All the idi engines used the same injector body.Only the internals were differant. All we can buy now is BB or G codes. When I needed the fuel heater o-rings I gave the counter fool the international part number on a piece of paper.... He asked me... Year-model and make of truck....:eek: I said frined... Here is your part number. I want two of these please.... About 5 minutes later he tells me they don't stock the "HEATER" and I will need to pay shipping from Ill for the heater..... What a #ucktard.... He even showed me a picture of what he tried to sell me..... Finally he figured out what I wanted.... Went looking for them but.... Found a bin with no part numbers but the computer inventory told him they had three of the o-rings.He found the three and I bought them.... Talk about some fools behind the counter with the same training to ask..... Year-make-model.... Well its good for a laugh sometime....

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
.... Talk about some fools behind the counter with the same training to ask..... Year-make-model.... Well its good for a laugh sometime....

All the ones I've talked to wanted an IH vin number.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All injectors have the code stamped into the hex where you put the wrench on to loosen or tighten them. Torque for installing them is 35 lbs.... Don't mess this up either. Too much torque can ruin the injectors and too little and they will leak compression gas and cut the copper gasket and seat in the head. This happens very slowly and by the time to know about it the injector bore in the head is full of crabon. Then you play hell removing that stuck injector. Usually you leave the bottom part stuck in the head...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have also noticed the difference after a fresh set of BB's installed in an idi. Ran smoother, more power, and maybe better mileage.

I have a set of injectors on a 7.3 parts idi that have the letter "D" stamped on them, what are these?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have also noticed the difference after a fresh set of BB's installed in an idi. Ran smoother, more power, and maybe better mileage.

I have a set of injectors on a 7.3 parts idi that have the letter "D" stamped on them, what are these?

For lack of a better answer....... old.

The first ones in 1983 were A. Then B.... etc..... The only ones left in circulation (New or Rebuilt) are BB and G.... G came in the 93.5 - 94.5 Factory Turbo IDI engines, and were built for emission control, not power and efficency.

So your D's may be rebuilt and they left the markings alone, or they are old.. from the mid to late 80's.......

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine there are some old D ,E codes out there, I am curious what IH charges for a new injector, I bet they can get only remans.

Usually the vin number for trucks and equipment is to see if it is stolen. When some stores enter it, it automatically checks a database.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score

D's are pretty common in the brick nose trucks I think. My friends 91 has D's and it runs great ;Sweet

My 91 had D's on the left side and BB's on the right when I bought it :rolleyes: So I switched them all to new BB's. Because I had mismatched injectors before and it ran like total dog poop I will say the BB's made all the difference in the world! LOL

Not sure why the BB's are the better option but they do preform VERY well in our trucks ;Sweet