How much is enough fuel?

Suddenly

Reaction score
with that turbo and intercooled (what intercooler?) you should be able to crank the pump all the way.
You should have more boost than you do now though.....also, an NA calibrated pump on my truck turboed and intercooled will show more egt than what you are seeing. Where is the thermocouple for the pyro.
Got some pictures this morning. Can’t really make out the PN for the intercooler but it is Garrett. Pretty sure that’s my thermocouple, is it in the right place? Forgot to mention the truck also has water/**** although I have it set to like 20psi as I’m not comfortable with it so it won’t ever go off.

I did some more cruising today around 120km/h (70-75?) egts 490-560 egts depending on wind and 0-2 psi. Didn’t get a chance to tie wastegate shut but I didn’t do any really hard driving to test psi anyway.

You must be registered for see images attach

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that looks like a old school ATS turbo kit maybe?
I ran my ATS 093 kit up to 18 psi intercooled on water **** with simply the wastegate line disconnected

Why are you scared of the water ****?

I ran my turbo cal ip maxed for quite some time but I was studded
Honestly if you are making good boost numbers now and egts are reasonable you can turn it up. You are only changing the max available fueling.
That being said I dont recommend pushing over 15 psi non studded

Suddenly

Reaction score
Not sure if this is related to my low boost problems. I noticed yesterday when I tried starting the truck without glow plugs, white smoke coming from what looks like behind my turbo down low. I also noticed that one morning when the air was moist I had sooty water drops spray out under the front like that comes out the exhaust. Although my experience is limited this leads me to think there’s a leak somewhere in the exhaust around the engine. It wasn’t cold enough today to get it to smoke so couldn’t get a video. There looks to be soot on the engine.

I’ll see what I can tighten and maybe get lucky. Where should I be looking?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All I can see for sure in the picture is oil from a leaky valve cover gasket. Where to look for your exhaust leak? That's hard to say. Going by your description, I'd start in the area of the Y-pipe and the where it goes into the turbo up pipe.

Suddenly

Reaction score
All I can see for sure in the picture is oil from a leaky valve cover gasket. Where to look for your exhaust leak? That's hard to say. Going by your description, I'd start in the area of the Y-pipe and the where it goes into the turbo up pipe.
Looked to me like soot more so than oil, I’ve been meaning to get something to clean the engine off so I can get an idea where things are still leaking oil.

I’ll see if I can find the leak tomorrow.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the exhaust manifold, the oil will boil dry so it does look sooty. I was looking at the valve cover above the manifold. It looks pretty wet along the the lower edge.

Suddenly

Reaction score
On the exhaust manifold, the oil will boil dry so it does look sooty. I was looking at the valve cover above the manifold. It looks pretty wet along the the lower edge.
Yeah it weeps. I think I slowed it down by tightening the bolts a bit but the gaskets need to be done too.

Suddenly

Reaction score
I put the vacuum to my exhaust and sprayed around a bit, although I didn’t really need to as I could hear and feel the air here. This pipe I’ve got my hand on has a lot of play. Downpipe? How do I upload a video?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like the downpipe to me. The up pipe is the one with the rectangular flange mounted to the turbo. To upload a video, you will want to upload to YouTube then link to it here.

Suddenly

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Let’s see if this works

how is the Downpipe connected? It looks and feels like it just slips in. Could this cause low boost or is it too late in the system? Forgive my ignorance but I’m not at all familiar with how the turbo system works

Last edited:

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The downpipe will not affect boost numbers. Only things between the engine and turbo can (exhaust manifolds, crossover pipe, up pipe etc)

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the factory turbo has a v band clamp on the elbow on the back of the turbo that holds the downpipe on.