How many lift pumps have you gone through?

Whit

Reaction score
All 24 valve owners are aware of the weak link of the oem lift pump, The lift pump supplies fuel from the tank to the VP-44 and also circulates an excess amount thru the VP for cooling and lubricity of the pump before returning the fuel back to the tank. many many owners have tried to correct the problem , some with continued failure and some with success, many have added a pusher pump and it is my believe that this only adds twice as many pumps for failure, I know a pusher pump is being used by alot of CTD owners with success but this mod was not for me, I also know that the new FASS system has so far had great reviews by folks actually using them but the initial cost to me is expensive, but if the FASS will prevent the loss of a VP-44 then it would be worth it, I will admitt that if I were still using my oem tank as a feed source I too would have a FASS in service. Here is an alternative system I have had in place for about 2 years and so far have had great luck with, If you run an auxillary tank in the bed of your truck you should consider this system as it has proven for me.

I dont run a lift pump and I dont want one

When I say I dont have a lift pump that is exactly what I mean, I took my oem lift pump and moved it back on the frame under my in-bed fueltank where fuel with head pressure of 1 pound is being supplied to the suction side of my pump....................................my pump no longer lifts fuel at all and is now considered a delivery pump!

NO pump likes to pull a vacumn but prefers a positive head pressure, the OEM setup is the problem, the pump is on a constant vacumn from pulling up to 2 feet and from up to 8 feet away, there is not a pump on the market that will survive this kind of application or punishment.

Here is what I have done to correct my OEM fuel delivery system. I purchased an auxillary inbed fuel tank, this is my MAIN supply to my delivery pump ( no longer a lift pump ) I have installed a ball valve at the bottom of the tank for maintenance purposes and 1/2" line to the pump, 1/2" line from the discharge of the OEM pump to the OEM filter housing in its original location and 1/2" line from the filter to the VP-44 and all banjos have been removed and replaced with -6an fittings.............................RESULTS ARE I now idle at 15 psi of pressure and cruze at any speed at 15 psi!!! and at wot I can only pull it down to 12 psi!!! As far as fuel usage from my Cummins I have 275 injectors and a comp box, the above stated readings are with the comp on 5x5. Before this mod my numbers were cruze 75 mph at 12 psi, WOT at 4-5 psi.I now use my OEM fuel tank as a storage and transfer tank.

Bottom line is if you dont want a lift pump than turn it into a supply pump.

Cheers, Kevin

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One sofar.... but I think #2 is on its way. 101K miles...

jarhead

comfortably numb
Reaction score
Whitmore, I run the fass fuel system on my truck and i'm shopping for an injection pump as we speak. 106k my fuel pressure never drops below 18psi.

This is just speculation... some knowledgable people are trying to link vp-44 failures to trucks with boxes that add timing. My pump has never starved for fuel and its failing. I admit Its moving three times the fuel it was designed too, but like I say If it aint broke fix it till it is!

WSP Pirate

Reaction score
I should say that working with the stainless line sucks if, you are as lousy at wrenching as I am, and you don't have the proper tools. But, I was able to complete the job and I am very happy with the results.

Thank You for the offer of help Big K !!
Before the Max Flow kit, I was using drilled banjo's from Wildcat also. I just figured if I'm going to replace the pump might as well upgrade fittings as well.

Jeff

Last edited:

Sir Smokesalot

Reaction score
42K and still on original, kinda. That is to suggest that.........stock one still in stock location, but disconnected. Still mounted there cause it's a good place to carry a spare and I was to lazy to take it off. It never did crap on me. 12K ago, mounted new one back on the frame close to the fuel tank as possible. 1/2 line to the filter. Working great so far. But also carrying another #3990105 under the front seat. I should be good to go for awhile, at least I am prepared for lift pump failure. Not to jinx self, but prolly something else will give out that I ain't carrying a spare for.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
62k on my 01 2500....2 lift pumps and an injector pump. i wont pay for the fass fuel system...its just an electric fuel pump with 3/8 fuel line and two fancy filters located right in front of the left rear wheel(perfect place to get torn off). i can get all these items at the local parts store for about 75 bucks....i think i'll save the dough and make my own fuel system

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
I'am still on lift pump #1 at 87500 but I feel it may be geting weak:(

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 went low PSI @65k, #2 is fine at 111kmiles.

What puzzles me is why some owners replace them like air filters and others do just fine. I talked to one owner who had 250k miles on his original LP and VP44, his secret (according to him) was to add 2 cycle oil to the fuel at every fillup. His theory was the lower lubricity of the current EPA (Eliminate Petroleum Altogether) requirements. I've added 2 cycle oil @ 200:1 ever since talking to him and the jury is still out.

kirk

Reaction score
New to forum and looking for help. I think I might have a lift pump problem in the making. It starts falling on its face when planting the accelerator and revs above 2500 rpm. It pulls like crazy between 1500 and 2200. Has 90,000 miles and plenty of performance mods. It seems to have been doing this for about 15 to 20,000 miles. Changed fuel filter about 15.000 miles ago. That made it a little better.

Can a Lift Pump act up like this for so long or do they just shut down completely. I would like to square it away finally.

Thanks for the help.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Kirk ounds like a lift pump or possibly a vp-44
On dads 02 at less than 10k it had 1 lift pump, and 15k the IP was replace , at 20 lift pump started loosing pressure. at 21k we put the FASS on it.
so far its go 16 psi at idle and 13 wot.

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 79500 on the original lift pump thankfully. I add marvels red mistery oil every couple of tanks. Don't know if this helps or not, but so far so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online