How many lift pumps have you gone through?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
When I bought my Goat it had 140k on the ticker so before that I don't know. Right after I bought it I replaced my LP cause it was only making about 10psi. The IP puked on me at 160k so when it was replaced I ahd the shop replace the LP too.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see...replaced them about every 80k in my 99 (stock) just to be sure (only had one die on me)...dad has replaced 3 in his 99 truck...same deal, replace them at 80k miles to be safe...he's at 225k with the original VP44...I was at 201k on my original IP. We only had gauges in the filter housings...they were always at least 12psi at idle.

I changed to a FASS at 58k on my 04.5...keeping my factory fuel bowl mounted LP on as a backup to the FASS...didn't have a gauge on the factory, but the FASS was 25ps when I first put it oni...I changed the spring to a 13psi...now I got a solid 12psi at the CP3.

Of all the options I looked at the FASS was the best choice for me...the RASP needed to much extra plumbing and still uses the factory LP to start/prime. It was also apparent they eat belts. The AirDog was too much $$$..for getting something almost the same as a FASS. The stanadyne used proprietary filters (reverse flow) and I believe they state it is only a pusher pump (not to be used alone). The BD kit uses the same junk Carter pump...I wouldn't have replaced a Carter with another Carter. The Holley blues/blacks have mixed results (some last for a couple weeks, others last a good long time). The car-grade aeromotives won't stand up to diesel...unless you buy the $400 marine (diesel) unit...I only paid $470 for my FASS.

I think a lot of guys have figured it out...it is volume, not pressure that you need...getting rid of the factory fuel delivery lines is one of the best things to do (it also takes load off the LP too which should give longer life)...I can tell you my mileage and power are both up after the FASS install...my biggest restriction is the in tank pickup assembly since the FASS uses 3/8" line from the pump to the CP3...now that I own one, I couldn't think of getting anything else...most likely get a FASS for the old man's truck this summer. :thumbsup:

steved

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Not had to replace a LP on my truck. I had the VP44 done and then watched it like a hawk for about 12 months or so then installed a FASS on it. Great system, very reliable, easy to install. All the same, money well spent.
Cheers

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a couple of holleys laying around?

I know the FASS is awesome, if you have the bucks to shellout. Here's what I did. You ask, "why two in series?" Well, diesel is a little thicker than gas and the smaller (Blue) pumps tend to overload and burnup after a few months, some sooner, but these are the 149 gph black pumps and if you run them in series, the load on each pump is lower and thus they tend to last as long as a pump twice their size and capacity.
I still have my stock LP and now my fuel press is nothing less than 10.5-12 at full throttle with my electronics set on the 6 spot. (Banks 6-Gun w/speedloader) and a 12,000# trailer dragging along behind.

Attachments

• fuel pumps 5comp.jpg
    fuel pumps 5comp.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
  • fuel pumps installed 003comp.jpg
    fuel pumps installed 003comp.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 15
  • fuel pumps installed 002comp.jpg
    fuel pumps installed 002comp.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 9

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moms '02 is at 99,700 and the 2nd one is dying. Hey Glenno what dealership did your pump and how is it running. Mom went to Montana Dodge in Billings and they said no dealership has done that. Where does one hook a fuel pressure guage to?

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Quick answer, if you can stay away from that dealer than - this is the warranty fix for the LP in the 2003 and up Cummins. If the dealer says no, either he has a better idea (IE knows about FASS or eq.) or he isn't someone you want working on your oil burner.

The in the tank pump is still junk as it is rated only to handle gas - yet somehow DC thinks this will work? I have issues with it because no, not only are you still getting a crappy pump you are now almost required to go to a dealer (or get towed to a dealer) to drop the tank and replace the next one. At least with the crap under the hood you can do it on the side of the road if needed. Personally after having issues with my first VP I'm glad I installed the FASS unit. It took me a long time to save for it (yes, even as a reseller) but it was well worth the money. If someone can build a "cheaper" and better system - buy it and use it as anything is better than stock in my opinion.

End of rant...

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
I lost one at 55k. Now psi is slowly slipping so I'm looking for options. Does anybody else get stupid looks from people when you tell them that a fuel pressure guage is a must on these trucks? :confused: It's hard to convince people that it's a little money now or a LOT later for a new VP.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CGriffith said:
Does anybody else get stupid looks from people when you tell them that a fuel pressure guage is a must on these trucks? :confused: It's hard to convince people that it's a little money now or a LOT later for a new VP.

Most people glaze over because they have no clue as to what your talking about...get in turn the key and drive...pay $$$ when it breaks...

Most haven't a clue as to what they are driving...

steved

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody here know if the LP on the FL70 is the same as Dodge pump. Our Freightliner school bus had its electric lift pump replaced under a recall. They sent a mechanic 100 miles one way to change it.

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
steved said:
Most people glaze over because they have no clue as to what your talking about...get in turn the key and drive...pay $$$ when it breaks...

Most haven't a clue as to what they are driving...

steved

Yes, most people don't have a clue. Until it happens to them. Then they read and read and read forums like this and others to find out what is the best way to fix something.

The best thing to do is offer suggested solutions. There is always more than one way. Some aren't as good as others but the price sometimes dictates what they can and can not do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.