How hot does a manual trans get?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has a gauge on their manual transmission. How warm do they run while towing? ZF-5 or T-19

Just curious,

Thanks,
Archie

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My guess is as hot as a rear diff? No clutches or torque converter to heat up tranny fluid like a auto has.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a temperature gauge on my ZF a couple of months ago. I've towed my trailer for about 3K miles now and I can report that my ZF gets HOT! As in: 265* occasionally. That's towing, though. Usually driving around town after a half hour I'll be up to 190*. One of these days I'm going to install a tranny cooler.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i know they get warm, the zf6 speed in my work truck has a factory cooler on it and after long trips i can feel the heat in the shifter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to remember about these transmissions.... they are alluminum. They are alluminum HEAT SINKS. The will suck heat right off of the motor, so you can expect them to get to at least water temperature at a minimum on lenghty trips.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
One thing to remember about these transmissions.... they are alluminum. They are alluminum HEAT SINKS. The will suck heat right off of the motor, so you can expect them to get to at least water temperature at a minimum on lenghty trips.

never thought of that, but makes perfect sense

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that the ZF5 doesn't use the oil for anything hydraulic, just lubrication, unlike an auto which has a pump and requires a little more out of the fluid.

Not saying a cooler is a bad idea, just saying that getting ATF (or gear oil for those of you running it) hot in a manual trans isn't as big of a deal as keeping it cool in an automatic.

Also remember that if you are going to install a cooler on a ZF5, you'll need a circulation pump as I don't think there's a factory provision for any external cooler.

Interesting thread nonetheless.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of the Dodge/Cummins guys have fabricated pumped coolers with the return nozzles brazed into the PTO plates such that the fluid sprays directly on the main-shaft bearings.

Most also include a filter head in the plumbing.

I have a system all designed in my skull, but have yet to implement it.

Also, there are some finned aluminum "blocks" that replace the PTO covers and provide a couple extra quarts of lube capacity, plus also being heat-dissipaters; those are very popular on the Dodge sites, yet I seldom see mention of them on here. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have a manual tranny, but just read in a 1938 Popular Mechanics mag. that putting a rubber hose over the stick will absorb the gear noise. Might even insulate the heat from it. Good Idea?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Don't have a manual tranny, but just read in a 1938 Popular Mechanics mag. that putting a rubber hose over the stick will absorb the gear noise. Might even insulate the heat from it. Good Idea?

I do that on big trucks;Sweet.
Kinda hard to do on a ZF with the tapered shifter

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't hurt...but a ZF shift stick is already a composite metal/rubber sandwich.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's another thing I do.
with age and miles, the upper part of the stick will separate from the rubber middle. this is good for two reasons. One. there's now only a 4 inch stub of a shifter for a truck thief to grab onto when they attempt to steal my truck. It takes at least three gears to get through an intersection from a dead stop. they will be busy shifting and not going fast or far. As a result, it makes it very easy to screw a .357 into their ear while they are still in the parking lot. Coupled with the conversation starter of "MSG and hot water will clean out blood and brain matter from my interior." self-preservation will kick in most opportunistic thieves at that point. :D
The second part is the removable shift handle is hollow. it can be filled with lead to the point where the rubber fits into the handle. two good things come from this. one. the vibration from the trans becomes non-existent, two. the handle doubles up as a billy club.

Attachments

• SL374371.JPG
    SL374371.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 6
  • SL374370.JPG
    SL374370.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member