How does this sound?

EBoyce96

Reaction score
New to me 1992 f350 7.3 idi xlt 2WD 97k. Pretty sure the injectors and pump are all original just wondering if this sounds good/ healthy. She knocks a bit above 40mph doesn’t seem to be in relation to the rpm. I ran some diesel purge/atf with a new filter but does have a small leak at the heater. She seems to get smoother the more I run her but I’m sure 31 years has taken a toll even at this mileage. Gotta replace ball joints before she is a daily. Thanks!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2, welcome to the Forum.
Congrats on your new purchase.
Sounds like an IDI Diesel. Don`t
hear anything out of the normal.

97K miles, might be 197 or 297.
These only show 5 digits on the
odometer, unless they added the
6th digit on that year.

Goat

EBoyce96

Reaction score
X2, welcome to the Forum.
Congrats on your new purchase.
Sounds like an IDI Diesel. Don`t
hear anything out of the normal.

97K miles, might be 197 or 297.
These only show 5 digits on the
odometer, unless they added the
6th digit on that year.

Goat
Thanks Goat! It’s got the digital. Had someone say it sounds like it’s about to throw a rod so I figured I’d ask the vets.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those that have only been around gas engines, when getting involved with a Diesel, especially the older IDI, mechanical injection etc... they can sound like something is coming apart, especially when cold. Soon as they warm up they smooth out.

These engines are something like 22:1 compression where a gasser is 8:1 or something like that. With the higher compression they sound different.

Goat

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Echo everyone else sounds normal to me. Curious about the knock above X mph, that usually evens things out for me and increases oil pressure (compared to idle). Any idea how much oil it’s burning yet or if it’s low?

Truck looks cool congrats on the rig

EBoyce96

Reaction score
Echo everyone else sounds normal to me. Curious about the knock above X mph, that usually evens things out for me and increases oil pressure (compared to idle). Any idea how much oil it’s burning yet or if it’s low?

Truck looks cool congrats on the rig
Thanks! It’s very clean for its age, I can’t wait to take her out a few times a week. I just changed the oil with some STP and I hit the dead center of the cross hatching. Do you guys usually go to the top? I’m not sure how much it burns yet but plan to check the pressure soon if not get a full time gauge because mine reads about a 1/3 of the way. I read it should be half way or nothing. Also it does have a leak in pan seal but not enough to leave a drop on the drive way. Thoughts

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get down to the add mark on the stick, I throw in another qt.

STP? Didn`t know they still made that stuff, haven`t used it in over 40 years. I thought it was the elixer of lubricants at one time.

Goat

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get down to the add mark on the stick, I throw in another qt.

STP? Didn`t know they still made that stuff, haven`t used it in over 40 years. I thought it was the elixer of lubricants at one time.

Goat
I was told by a an old man that ran a machine shop back in the day that he hated tearing engines down that had STP ran in them. I know my old man always told me never to put it in a good engine, said it was only to keep one that was getting scrapped to stay together until it could be replaced.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention that, the engine oil needed to be hot when pouring it in, then run the engine to get it mixed well as I remember.
If poured in w/o running the engine it would lay in the bottom of the pan, and or plug up the Oil Pump.
Also stuck to everything and as the old man said, hated to work on and engine that had this stuff in it.

Been a long time but seem to remember the advertising that it was developed in Germany in WWII...could be wrong.

Just use good clean oil...w/o adding any off the shelf additives.

Goat

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine is comatose, use the STP oil treatment, otherwise dont. I was friends with a mechanic who would drain his oil at oil change. Then before replacing the drain plug , would about 1 gallon of diesel fuel in the engine to " flush out" any built up sludge and stuff. Apparently it worked, but he cautioned against any STP oil treatment for diesel engines. Me, i pour a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil into the oil a week before a scheduled oil change. so far, so good....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc