How Does This Make you Feel....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/brand-new-6...Parts_Accessories&hash=item48476d3d39&vxp=mtr
So.. Now how do we all feel about the cost of a Moose Pump...:D I know this hummer pump has some electronics in it but gees.. thats some coin for a stock pump. And yes... I know what the cummins pumps cost too. This is just another reason to run the idi engines we like so much... Adding a Moose pump or a typ4 cam and your on your way smiling from ear to ear... Been there.. Got the smile too...:D

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad has a 6.5, he had the pump replaced a looong time ago for 1300, i wonder why there so pricey

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe that's the ds4 correct?
I'm glad I have the mechanical pump on my 6.2. Also the Hummer pump is 24volt. And IIRC it flows more than the normal civilian version. So it's really technically an upgrade to a stock pump. Not by much though.
I guess it'd sorta be like comparing a na pump to a Turbo cal pump.
I wouldn't be against running one though. You can burn your own "chips" for them.
Maybe Mel can confirm or correct some of what I said.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I don't mind paying bigger dollars for a pump that lasts as it should like most industrial/commercial pumps that last the life of the engine. Too bad these DB-4's seem to last no longer then a DB-2. And that ain't long. And yes, this just rienforces the value behind Mel's Moose's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch! I sell that 6.5 pump for just under $800 with exchange. The bummer is, with that electronic package, it is an unusual pump, and we don't have the support equipment to do them. The investment in the tooling at this late stage is not justifiyable, unless I find a deal on a used bench that will set them up.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I don't have any idea what any of the Moose level pumps cost, but I do know that that is one heck of a price for a pump! I run a J Code 6.2 in my M1009 Blazer and that's about as exotic as I get. I prefer my diesels to be as mechanical as possible, and would seriously LOVE to just have a cable to shut the pump down instead of the solenoid ( may have to figure something out someday ) and would not own a 6.5 or other electronic diesel just because every electrical connection is just another possible point of failure. Higher possibility than a mechanical connection, I mean.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, but will try a Moose the next time I need an IP and injectors for my 6.9. They are so well talked about and with a good reputation and knowing they are made by someone who is a stickler for tolerances and accuracy, a person just HAS to go with what is proven.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Opusd2- you can get a 6.5td with a mechanical pump. That way you get the piston squirters.
Also I believe Mel has moose equivalent pumps for the 6.2.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked it up, he does have the 6.2 IPs. And I am pretty happy with my 6.2 J code, not really interested in having a turbo on the Blazer. My F250 with the 6.9 is another thing, it's built for hauling.