how cold?

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think mine has started at -20, but if it is that cold I give it a snort of starting fluid after the plugs stop cycling the first time just in case because I am usually walking a long ways if it doesn't start.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SHOWN HOW!!!

If it is at the house it gets plugged in so the oil gets warm when it hits the block and the IP and filter have a little radiant heat.
There is a big differance between -60 and -40, propane goes liquid at about -44 most anti gels stop working at about -50, starters slow down enough so there are not enough RPMs to start. Anybody know the differance in battery output. 15W-40 oil viscosity is such that it acts like glue when pumped into the engine. I do not run my schoolbus when it is colder than -30, to many things break and I am out in the hills with a load of other peoples kids. Chopping through a couple feet of ice so the cows can drink warms you right up.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My ole 84 f250 was hardly ever plugged in -especially while I was at work when I lived in Massachusetts-several years of northeast weather and it always started even at -20 just run good batteries -good glow plugs-and a good starter. Opps and leave the ether at the store!!!!!!!!
There may have been a time or 2 when I had to let it set untill the sun came out then try again,but it was a lot colder then -20 with a strong NE wind.