how cold?

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
With the glow plugs all working how cold will the 6.9s start without being plugged in?

The powerstroke I never had to plug in But I am sure this one is a little different.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I heard some start no problem at -10f, but we have OB up north that may have more accurate #.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mine has started at -10! Probably much lower if you factor in windchill. I can tell you, they do sound like h%$$ though!!! Personally, I think with the solid state controller and everything in good working order (batteries, starter, dry fuel, good glow plugs etc.), that they would start in any temp. Have never owned the old style (long enough to know anyway) so I can't comment there. In my case, it was more the sound of that cold engine that I didn't like more so than if it would start or not.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Granted I have the 7.3. but I have had it down to 3 degrees farenheit and not plugged in and it will lite off.
Yep sounds kind rough but they'll go.;Sweet
Actuall did a test one year against wifey's '03 6.0L and the IDI started faster that the power stroke did.:D
That day it was about 5 degrees.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I agree i had a 85 F250 that started just as well at 40F as it did when we were close to 0F just made some more noise but always hit and took off on the first turn. only cold weather problem i ever had was the rear tank jelled up some once and i had to switch to the front going down the highway. the next day when it was warmer it was fine and never did it again so i assume its what happened.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
........... Probably much lower if you factor in windchill...........

:rotflmao FYI........Windchill might cool it down faster by convection cooling, but does not affect the temperature of non living things:angel:

To answer your question SS.......your truck should start at any low temp with out plugging it in........and if it dont Just use drugs!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Never had to start mine at below -25 here, but it started, not pugged in. It would start down to about 10 or 20 without glow plugs, but it took a lot of work (hitting 30 mph downhill and popping the clutch).

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Well I found out that my problem is not the cold weather,because it would start even after having the block heater plugged in. The problem is I lost power to the IP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some tima back a member here or on the other site posted about trying to start a 6.9 at -60 below. Truck just wouldn't start. They came back the next day becuase it had "warmed up" to -40 below and tried again. It started up just fine. Sure this may just be a story but cold is cold. I really wouldn't know the differance between -40 and -60 deg below 0....;Really

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
my truck was always a lil slow to start.

cleaned the battery connections (all of em), new glow plugs, got rid of all the air leaks, and it fires on the first compression stroke, catches and runs on its own by the second crank revolution.... mind you it's only gotten 25 or so since I get the truck running smooth.

from my own experience, it seems cranking speed is more important than even having glowplugs.... was 37 the other morn and I wanted to see if it'd fire without plugs.... took 5seconds or so, but it fired off.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coldest I've started my 6.9 without being plugged in has been -35 or so. 0W40, good batteries, good glows(I run an old style controller, without any issues) and it'll crank up without toooo much complaining, and no huge amount of smoke. My 7.3 PSD, once, the block heater cord shorted out, and it dropped to -40 daytime highs for a couple days.... It fired on the first try, but, my god did it sound ugly when it did.... Every pump in the thing was howling for mercy, and about 5 minutes after I started it, you could no longer see it with the smoke...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it would sound ugly either the PSD or IDI. Gotta have everything in great working order. And if you're burning biodiesel...you better make sure its good fuel and blen in some kero or winter blend #2. It has gelled up even here in sunny FL. I do not envy you guys starting diesels at those temps you all quoted. The coldest I have ever seen it here is about 17-18 degrees F at night/moirning.