Hood to cowl seal

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Is there a normal amount of water to collect on the air cleaner when sitting in the rain or should there be none at all? I saw a little bit today, first time it’s rained really since I got the thing last fall. I’ve read the hydro lock horror stories and don’t want that to happen to me.

Even with a good cowl seal you might get some but the lesser the better.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to remember to snap a photo tomorrow morning before work. It is supposed to rain through the night.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I saw the water yesterday I had been driving for about 40 miles. I smelled antifreeze to popped the hood to check and that's when I saw the water. This morning there was no water after sitting all night in the rain; could road spray collect there while driving?

The antifreeze was from the hose to the overflow bottle leaking, easy fix there for once.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw an old floor mat or something big enough to lay over the filter housing to keep the water out even with new cowl seal.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys i just replaced the Cowel seal. Mine was long gone as for usefulness. About as soft as a piece of bakalite, and pieces missing.
I had read about using a garage door seal instead of the one Ford used. Bought it on line, think 25ft. I have 2 trucks and my BIL has 2 and now 3. I thin ea truck uses 6ft of it.
I finally got around to putting it on, I think last Nov.
I posted this on another thread, and copied it.

I swapped the 86 Cowel with the slots to one off an 88 with the small holes to keep out the leaves and crap.
The replaced the old cracked, broken rubber Cowel seal to one for a Garage door.

https://www.garagedoorstuff.com/product/garage-door-weather-seal-wood-doors/

I cut the top part off the old seal, and used the lower part to secure the new seal to the truck. It has a metal strip in it and figured it might hold it more secure. Also used longer screws.

There is a difference with the Wiper Motor between 86 and 88. There is a curved part over the motor on the 88, and I didn`t notice, and had the darnest time to get it to lay flat. Had a bulge in it, because of a lip sticking out. Next one Iam grinding it off.

I didn`t notice the difference between the early and later Cowel plate when I decided to change.
So far it has worked perfect.

Edit: I will add place the new seal to see how it will line up. Then you have to cut off about 1/2" because it is wider. I made it about as wide as the original one.
As mentioned above, I used the lower part of the old one and screwed the two together for a secure fit.

Cut the top piece off where it bends for ward.

Look at the 9th 10th and 11th picture in the following thread, you will see what i talking about.

https://www.fordtruckzone.com/threads/re-sealing-the-cowl-on-a-80-96-f-series.657653/

Goat

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
When I saw the water yesterday I had been driving for about 40 miles. I smelled antifreeze to popped the hood to check and that's when I saw the water. This morning there was no water after sitting all night in the rain; could road spray collect there while driving?

The antifreeze was from the hose to the overflow bottle leaking, easy fix there for once.

Driving down the road with all the pressure from the air that is on the cowl its very possible that in a heavy rain it would get pushed past the seal. I don't the road spray would make it up that high under normal conditions to cover the engine in water.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cowl seal makes a big difference, and also if your hood isn't level then you will see leaks when parked at certain angles due to lack of purchase between the seal and hood

I replaced my cowl only to find my truck had a off level hood and would leak when driver side was parked higher than drinkers

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran into this decided to replace the hood to cowl seal, just got it from LMC yesterday of course its ******* cats and dogs, but im not 100% sure its gonna fit as their truck options only went to F250 so figured the 350 should be the same.. i know it won't look exactly like factory
other than LMC is their another hood to cowl gasket option.. i have the truck headed down hill and thank goodness the rubber grommet around the threaded rod i keep snug was a pool on top the intake lid..
is there another rubber grommet one can get or just take the old and threaded rod the wing nut is on and get another?

Thanks everyone..

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is there a normal amount of water to collect on the air cleaner when sitting in the rain or should there be none at all? I saw a little bit today, first time it’s rained really since I got the thing last fall. I’ve read the hydro lock horror stories and don’t want that to happen to me.

I put a thick piece of plastic over the air cleaner when I put the F250 up for storage. Twice now. First time, when I pulled it out, the plastic had signs of water getting on it (carried in dirt, then dried up). If you are worried about it, something like that is good short term.

You must be registered for see images attach

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Cubey i grabbed a empty 30lb cat food bag and layed over it after i swept the small pool off the lid.. i was like surely i got enough crap laying around to manage a rain cover lol..

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've installed two of the LMC cowl gaskets, I usually silicone them on as well for an extra seal. Only one of the two trucks was leaking prior to the seal replacement. The second was just as a precaution.

yotekiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its stops pouring tomorrow im putting that new one on and hopefully a couple more things, to dang wet to do anything else...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker