F700 Hood Latch Handle ?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last several years, I have spent a lot of time in the cab of an F700.

Just recently, it dawned on me that it may very well be possible to employ that big long hood latch handle of the F700 on my F350.

The hoods look the same and the latch mechanism looks pretty much the same, save for that nice long handle.

Does anyone know whether such a swap would be doable as in just bolt it on and good to go ?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never done it.
But what year is your F-700?
Some of those Hood`s are Fiber Glass and flip forward, with rubber hold down`s.

Goat

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to change my '94 F350 7.3 idi hood latch when I installed a different grille. I would up welding an arm off to the one side because reaching through the front anymore was not possible.
As for simply welding on a longer arm, whuffer?
You might just need an alignment or adjustment to make it easier to open.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of that latch handle? I have no idea what you're talking about. Like Goat, I'm picturing a rubber latch.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not 100%sure, but I think he is talking the lever you reach through the grille to move the safety latch, so you can open the hood. I know on some older F-6/7/800 they had a normal hood and fenders like a pickup, and some had the tilt forward doghouse…

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been slowly replacing the in-cab hood releases with a nice pull handle routed out near the headlight. So far haven't had to mess with the handle for the secondary latch.

I make the pull handle with some 3/32nd aircraft cable, make an eye on the end with 6" of fuel line, stick the other end through the latch, use crimp ferrules.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been slowly replacing the in-cab hood releases with a nice pull handle routed out near the headlight. So far haven't had to mess with the handle for the secondary latch.

I make the pull handle with some 3/32nd aircraft cable, make an eye on the end with 6" of fuel line, stick the other end through the latch, use crimp ferrules.

That kinda reminds me of our 79 Fairmont Wagon we had. From the factory, the hood latch was in a little recess above the drivers headlight. You popped the hood with that and then reach in the center and released the secondary latch.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did with a tubular grille that I was unable to reach through.

Attachments

• image000000 (22).jpg
    image000000 (22).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 8