Holley Red Ruined

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yesterday I figured its about time to overhaul my red pump. Or at least take it apart so I could trend how much longer it would run...... Not another minute of run time left in that pump. It had started to leak diesel up into the motor end and the brushes and comutator were so worn I don't know how it ran at all. The brushes had eaten about half way thru the collector ring and plenty of material was everywhere in the windings. But... This pump has around 175,000 miles on it too. So I got all it had to give and then some. Found several on Ebay and bought one for just under $100.00 with shipping included. Summit has them for $105.00 plus shipping and around $12.00 handleing from Ebay too.... Now I'm just sitting here waiting for my Moose pump....;Sweet :love: :D Then I'll be making some noise the neighbors don't like and the smells we all like....;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
wonder????????? could get parts for that pump???? wonder if would be less than new???????

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rebuild kit is a good bit less than half the cost of a new pump, but unfortunately the motor is assumed to be good at that point, cause it isn't what usually wears out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, the pump repair kits are less expensive but. With all the miles on what I had I feel its better insurance just to buy new. If I "repaired mine it would have everything new except the valve body. The check valve repair kit is around $16.00 and the pump rotor and vane is around $23.00. I didn't know at that time I was asking about the repair kits that I needed another motor. I'm guessing that would be around $50.00 or even more. So its new for me and I'll probably buy another pump just to keep it behind the back seat. Never want to be left hi and dry out on the road...:D

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
so i got ahold of a 115 gph 7 psi pro comp fuel pump just because it was cheap wonder if i should throw it on the ol truck because my old electric is on the fritz-leaking diesel around the pump. would it work? i don't see why it wouldn't but i figure i should get some more input yall know more than me

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That pump will work just fine but.... Before you replace it test the electric on there now for pressure and flow. That way you will know how bad it is or was...

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought one of those and it checked 12 lbs so be sure to verify before you install, the folks here all claim 4-8 is ideal so if it is 7 you're right on.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Where on earth are you finding rebuild kits for a holley e pump? are they made by someone else? Back when I had a Holley pump that folded I searched high and low and was told that Holley didn't sell rebuild kits , brushes or internals( and not by a cheesy place either , by a number of places I trust on that one , serious race supply houses I've delt with for years) all said the same thing, Holley would only let you send it in to them for rebuild.
All of which I though was nuts, I used to have a mallory e pump on one vehicle and carried a rebuild kit in the glove box ( nice pumps, rebuild one on the side of the road in about 5 minutes ). Considering how speed shop pumps usually don't last very long, it seemed pretty silly not being able to get rebuild kits.

I've got the Facet Duralift pump now, so I don't worry about it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the duralift the solid state pump that is specifically for diesel from NAPA? That's what I have too. My Holley Red needs work, some problems with it pumping intermittently. It might be because of substandard biodiesel or my fuel contamination problems. That pump never saw 15,000 miles before it quit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Summit sells both rebuild kits. One is for the check valve and the other is for the vane and rotor. I didn't ask about the motor rebuild kit.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I find it kind of interesting that the Holley pumps use a dry motor and brushes and a good bit more expensive than the Carter I run. It's a wet motor, and IIRC, it's brushless(permanent magnet.)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Summit sells both rebuild kits. One is for the check valve and the other is for the vane and rotor. I didn't ask about the motor rebuild kit.

That must be a more recent development then, because Summit didin't carry them either at the time, I got the same story from them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is the duralift the solid state pump that is specifically for diesel from NAPA? That's what I have too. My Holley Red needs work, some problems with it pumping intermittently. It might be because of substandard biodiesel or my fuel contamination problems. That pump never saw 15,000 miles before it quit.

I don't know if Napa carries the things, the Dura lift is the factory diesel lift pump for Thermoking and Carrier Transcold ****** units, It looks like this Great pumps, will lift fuel 10 ft straight up, so you don''t have to mount them below the tank, and a nice big built in trash seperator bowl and filter screen.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very similar but that one is a good bit nicer. The NAPA version has an integral filter and is solid state but it doesn't have a transparent bowl. How much was this pump?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7